Rescue

(Levi's POV)

"Any sign of her yet?" Erwin asked after entering my office, carefully closing the door behind him.

The heels of his boots clicked loudly against the wooden floor while he walked towards my desk. I felt his need to say something about 'taking care of myself' but I kept ignoring him completely..

Yes, I know I looked like a complete mess and maybe I should sleep instead of work ,but I was still doing my part of the job.

No matter how hard I tries, I couldn'tconcentrate in the slightest with the deaths of that brat and my squad engraved my mind.

With a heavy heart we all arrived back inside the walls earlier yesterday. I couldn't face Petra's dad and just kept walking through the angry and dissapointed crowd.

Leaving the bodies to the titans wasn't easy either. They and their families deserved more than what I gave them.

I also searched for (Y/n)'s body for a couple of hours but she wasn't anywhere to be found.

I don't think I even want to know what happened to her.

"And (Y/n)?"

"Probably dead." I stated blankly, burrying my nose inside the papers in an effort to hide away the creeping pain in my eyes.

Erwin nodded and crossed his arms with a sigh. He was too damn obervant to my liking as he snatched the papers away from my hands and slammed them back onto the desk.

I wasn't impressed and just glared at him.

"What?"

"All the bodies have been found, Levi. Only hers."

His thick eyebrows formed a frown. I sensed his eagerness to sent out a few unfortunate soldiers in order to retrieve the brat but for me that sounded completely unnecessary.

"Sent out one or two people to search for her. You're the commander. You can do as you please." I stated and focused back on the paperwork.

Erwin clearly became agitated with my lack of concern but how could I still care about someone who is already dead?"

"You want me to sent out someone? Fine, then you'll go, Captain."

I scoffed and glanced up at the tall man but my eyes widened as I noticed that his statement wasn't some stupid joke.

"Seriously? You know damn well that I don't have time for retrieving dead people, Erwin. What is she to you?"

"No, what is she to you, Levi?"

This time I lost my temper standing up and slamming my fist against the desk, making a small dent.

"WHY DO YOU FUCKING CARE?! MY SQUAD IS DEAD! (Y/N) IS DEAD. THE WHOLE WORLD IS GOING TO SHIT!"

Kicking the chair to the other side of the room I turned around towards the window behind me. With trembling hands I grasped the windowsill, lowering my head against the cool glass.

A few minutes passed.

"I apologize -" The commander eventually started.

"I don't need your apology. I need you to leave."

And so Erwin did.

-------------

The next few hours were filled with silence as my pen wrote word after word on numerous documents.

Reports, contracts, recruitments, food stockage, letters, ...

My fingers traced an envelop directed towards a name I never wanted to hear again.

(Y/n).

Shaking my head I read the envelop again, seeing a different name now.

When was the last time I slept?

I couldn't remember but I didn't really  care.

When I slept, I dreamt.

Nightmares.

Soft murmuring started to fade away in the hallway and I figured everyone was now asleep.

The sun was replaced with a bright full moon, peeking from behind a few stray clouds.

(Y/n)...

Clicking my tongue I stood up and glanced outside.

"This is fucking stupid..."