Chapter Nine

~•~

Alina waited as I showered and dressed, being considerably patient for how long I was taking. I enjoy finishing this act on my own, I've been getting used to it more and more as the weeks pass by. We go outside for a walk. It's cold, so I'm wearing a large, oversized jacket that extends to my thighs. It keeps me warm without needing to be zipped, due to its sheer size.

We walk together down the streets of the Sanguis pack, making our way into town. It doesn't take long, as everything is considerably close by here in this pack. Being a bigger pack with only one town, the streets are bustling. Unlike the SilverRock pack, this one does not have large roadways. I can tell without seeing that the architecture differs drastically from my home pack, despite being in the same vicinity. The community her must be quite different, I haven't had the chance to interact with another aside from Alina and the Alpha.

We make our way into a little shop, the door clinking as we enter. I feel around the shelves, making sense of what are small, handmade nick nacks. Most of them consist of wood, straw, and other earthly resources. My hand lands atop an object made of rush weeds, which I almost immediately recognize.

"A Brigid's cross," I state aloud, feeling the workmanship of the almost perfect Brigid's cross. I recognize the pattern of the squared off centre, being one of my favourite holiday traditions. Crafting Brigid's crosses has always been an easy task, even with my blindness. That is why Imbolc has always been my favourite holiday, for I can partake in the festivities of the day.

Alina agrees, and we walk around a bit more, before making an exit. She makes note on the sky being open today, and how cold it is despite that.

She guides me into another store, where the smell is a mollifying tint, clad throughout the atmosphere. Alina let's go of me to allow me to make my own way around. She encourages me in almost every way to become independent, which I love.

"It's a clothes shop," she extends, for my benefit only. "We're going to buy you clothes, since you don't have any of your own." At first, I perk up, liking the idea of having something for myself, then comes guilt. I feel guilty for wanting something that I haven't gotten for myself. I almost refuse, but Alina cuts me off to say, "ohhh feel this one, isn't it soft?" She rubs a fabric against my hand to let me know where it is. I feel it, not wanting to let go.

I agree with her, it's the softest thing I've ever felt. I turn back to the hangers of clothes, not really knowing what to look for. I feel around, many different types of materials coming in contact with my skin. "Want to try it on?" The storekeeper questions, obviously to me. I feel my cheeks begin to burn with an embarrassed hint, not sure how to respond. I nervously open my mouth, feeling Alina's steps wander nearby in the store. They give me courage, remembering how she tells me to be more independent. I say, "yes, please," trying to push my voice out to sound confident. It ends up sounding shaky and forced, though I still feel good for trying.

Once I'm in the closed-off dressing area, I sign in relief of being alone. Not even sure of what article of clothes I have draped over my arm, I steadily take my clothes off to try it on. I feel the whole surface of the item, it's a long jumpsuit with a comfortable, soft material. Once it's on, I push out of the dressing area and find Alina. The jumpsuit is too long for my legs, and baggy in areas it probably shouldn't be. Either way, Alina exclaims aloud that she likes it and I should definitely buy it.

It makes me uneasy to think of owning it, as back home my mother made it clear that everything I have is hers and hers only. I like the idea of my mother seeing me have something that is entirely mine and not hers, so I nod to Alina with a slight smile on my face.

Alina has a pile of various clothes I didn't try on but I agree to buy anyway. She says they will all look amazing on me, and well I've never felt amazing in anything before, so I simply agree and hope she is right. We make our way to the lady at the desk to buy the clothes when I realized I don't have money to pay for them all. I suppose she sees the look on my face, "Don't worry, it's a favour from the Alpha." A favour?

We begin to make our way out of the shop, weaving in and out of the hanging booths of clothes. I bump into one of the shelves of clothes, feeling a satiny material that slips over my hands. It stops me in my tracks, forcing me to stay and grab fistfuls of the material. Alina sees this, appearing next to me in the isle.

"I-I want this," I say, going back to the time I felt this same material in my mother's wardrobe. The material is cool to the touch, slipping right out of my grasp. "A white slip dress?" She advances, taking it in her hands. I nod frivolously, notifying that this is what I want. If there is anything in this store I want, it's this white, silk dress that my mother would have never let me wear.

"Alright, then." She takes the dress and pays for it, which finally makes me happy about my spending. A smile spreads wide on my face, as we pass the threshold, out into the sidewalks. The guilt leaves my body and I'm left with a radiant feeling. I walk a little faster and my posture is just a little bit straighter.
.
.
.
.
.
Word Count: 1017