Chapter Seventeen

Author's Note: thank you to every single one of my readers. Last chapter I hit 2k readers and 150 stars. I appreciate all of you <3

~Monet's POV~

I'm at the west corner of the pack territory, watching as the men scavenge the forest for fresh catch. It's unlikely they will find any. I'm perched between a tree and some bushes, my white fur probably visible anyway.

I managed to leave the pack house without anyone seeing, or at least I think I did. I followed the scent of the hunters to the west ends, the only place they are able to catch anything. Of course there are pack agriculturists, but hunters are active all year to find whatever they can.

One man yells to the others, claiming they caught the scent of something. Many of them follow the trail slowly, keeping low and hiding in the brush.

I follow the scent along side them, watching as they prowl side by side. We travel like this for about a mile, the scent becoming more potent as we near the animal. It's a smell I'm not familiar with, though I haven't come in contact with many wild animals, that aren't already dead. About 40 meters to my left, the men stopped moving and crouch in the cover of the long grass.

Their low growls alert me, wondering why they would optionally give up their stop, so their prey would know they're there.

I look where their eyes are targeted, seeing a majestic animal with antlers bigger than my entire body. It sips on a small puddle made by the rain, left from past days poor weather.

Its short brown fur coats it's entire body in a sleek manner that will make it easy to pierce. It shines in the slight glisten of the sun, fascinating me further.

My breath hitches as it looks up in my direction, eyes bulging and terrified. It saddens me that it sees me as something to be scared of. I nod at the animal, as to vow to never hurt it or anything like it. I know it doesn't understand, but it relieves me anyway to think it no longer fears me. It gradually moved its head away from my direction, back down to the puddle.

I hear a sudden snap a few meters to my left, realizing it was the hunters. The men advance, inching closer to the beautiful lone moose. Before I know it, they're lunging at the behemoth animal, aiming for its long, exposed neck.

I sprint to it as well, needing to arrive before the hunters. I yell to the other wolves, scream to them to stop but only barks and growls of my wolf make it through.

They see me now, their lunges at the moose rendering useless. I frighten it into running before they could attack, though two of the wolves chase it through the forest.

The rest stay in their position, one rising up over me, visibly angry that I spoiled their catch. I should be scared, but all I feel is happy that I saved the mooses life.

All the wolf does is glare at me, so I take that as a note of absence, and I run back to the pack.

~•~

Alina and I eat side by side. It's been a few days since the incident and I've heard nothing since. I've been trying to play it quiet by staying in my room. The adrenaline of risking my life for a moment of satisfaction has wore off, and all I've been doing is worrying about my place in Alaric's pack.

Alina praises me for standing up for myself. I wish she knew it wasn't me that was in control. She gives me too much credit for the brave actions of my wolf.

"Monet. . ." Alina breaks the silence of our meal. "I should have told you earlier, but. . ." She trails off, which backs my heart into a dark corner. My stomach whirls, unaware as to what she has to say to me.

"The alpha has asked you to a dinner with him and the Luna. Actually, it's mandatory. You have to go." At this, my heart stopped completely. I push away my meal, my appetite gone and my stomach full of anxiety.

Sweat forms around my forehead, an eternal nervousness settling over myself. I can't face them both again, not after the embarrassment of being forced into submission.

"I'm not sure what will be discussed, but it sounded important. Possibly a punishment for what. . . What happened."

I can't imagine sitting so close to the alpha and his so called Luna at the same time. Nevertheless, Alina urges me to be prepared for the dinner. She says it will be tomorrow, in front of Alpha Alaric, Genevora, and the prior alpha and his Luna.

The fact that Alpha Odon and Luna Hecate will be there makes me even more nervous. Odon is said to be the most ruthless alpha to live. He begun the war between the North and the South. He left Alaric a major legacy to carry out as the next alpha of the Sanguine pack.

I'm unsure of what will happen, though I feel like I deserve worse. I challenged the alpha in front of his entire pack and all I need to do is have a discussion.

"It will be okay, Monet," Alina says from the bed. I forgot she was here, I'm so in my mind, that I didn't realize anyone was around anymore. I face her and nod my head, agreeing. Whether I believe it or not, I'm still unsure.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Word Count: 940