Chapter Eighteen

~•~

     The morning starts off beautifully, a day of sun breaks the streak of typically bad weather.

I know as I rouse from the bed that I won't be able to settle until after my meeting with Alaric and the former alpha and Luna. I make my way into the bathroom before Alina even brings breakfast. I won't be able to eat anyway, the nervousness growing in my mind.

I take a much needed shower, the pouring of the scalding water eases me slightly. It doesn't stay long, though. The second I step out of the shower, all of my worrisome thoughts evade me once again.

I am totally unsure of what might happen today, though I'm fairly certain it won't be pleasant.

I still have hours until it's time, but I decide to be ready anyway. Alina eventually does make her way to my room, to which she insists on helping me pick my clothes. I sit back and let her raid the wardrobe, scattering possible outfits across my room.

I tell her it's not that big of a deal and I'm only going to apologize and be done, but she assures me that it will be greater than that.

Alina reads into the meeting as a great gesture, as she's never been aware of something like this happening. She must be suspicious.

Of course, the fact that I am the alphas mate is still unknown to her. If they knew, everything would change. The pack would reject me as a weakness, and possibly even Alaric for having such an impuissant mate.

"I think this may be the one," Alina sidles next to me holding an outfit. I run my hands over the fabric, a soft, thin material.

As I wear the dress it feels incredibly comfortable and breezy, though nothing I'd think to wear to a meeting. I fear the dress is so thin it may be exposing shapes of my body, leaving little to the imagination.

"Alina, this dress isn't revealing, is it?" I question to her shyly, to which I receive a giggle. I understand that it's out of the ordinary to care about such superficial things, such as the exposure of one's body. Only children typically cover up, and even then, it's not always. People shouldn't care about exposure.

I feel a rush of heat covering my cheeks, the thought of naked men and women strutting about, which is especially typical in my old pack. I'm not sure how common it is for people to roam exposed in the Sanguine pack, but a part of it makes me jealous. My wolf growls in the back of my head, our mate flashing before both of us. She's protective over him, despite having no right to be. He cannot mate us and we know this.

Though, she still takes her time on the subject of Alaric's undressed body.

"It's pale and yellow, it suits you. It looks comfortable," she replies, her voice joyous. She says nothing else.

I nod, taking a seat next to her. We don't do much for the next few hours, simply talk and sit. Eventually, she braids a few stands of my wavy hair. They sit on either side of my face, my fingers interlacing with the entwined pieces.

~•~

     The sun is split centre of the sky, beating straight down on my head. It warms me in between breezes, the chilly wind making me shiver.

Owen, Alaric's #2, interlocks his arm with mine. He guides me down a lengthy path in the wilderness, allowing me little freedom. He stops everytime a jagged rock or tree root obstructs the path, directing me when to step higher.

I appreciate Owen's kindness, though it's obvious he's never interacted with a blind person before. Still, I don't correct him, half out of politeness, and half out of fear that he will be angry.

"We have nearly arrived." Owen comments in a dull manner. I don't respond to him, mostly because of the pit of anxiety that swoshes in my stomach.

I hope for my own sake that this doesn't last long. All you have to do is say anything they want you to say, I reassure myself. That's all I have to do, say what they want to hear.

Owen stops, momentarily letting go of me so he knock on the door. As he does, the sound a deep, hallow knocking. It reminds me of the doors we had at home, the thud they made similar to now.

The door opens and Owen helps me breach the door frame, trading me off with who I assume is a servant. The door closes behind me, Owen remaining on the other side.

"Hello, dear. I'm Mae, I work for the Alpha Odon." She greets in a warm voice, gently holding my wrist.

I half heartedly smile, nodding in her direction. I image her smiling back in her sweet manner.

Without being rude, I take my wrist from Mae and place it at my side. I slide off the coat I've been given and Mae places it somewhere beyond my reach.

This is it, I tell myself. I step forward, my bare feet stepping off the welcome Matt and onto the hard wood floors.

I can sense people are near, though I'm not sure where. I use my feet as a guard, stretching my legs in front of me, feeling with them so I don't hit anything. I slide along the floor, keeping my arms at my side. I wish to present the best side of me today, and that means being as independent as possible.

There's low chatter in a seperate room, and I decide that's where I'm headed. There are a mixture of scents in the air, but none of them are Alaric's, which makes my wolf frown just a little.

I step into the next room and I can tell that's where the voices are coming from. I present myself curtly, standing straight with my hands folded behind me.

The prattling stops when they notice me standing before them, immediately unfolding to a stand, to greet me.

"You must be Monet."

I don't recognize the voices, but their scents are so powerful I can tell they are of a high rank. Alpha Odon and Luna Hacate.

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to greet them back, so I simply lower my head in their honour.

"Come and sit." A womanly voice offers. They speak to me in a short tone, unforgiving and unallowing any type of solace. I do just as she says, slowly shifting myself through the room until I reach a seat.

The pair pick up on their conversation from earlier and I'm left to sit awkwardly on my own.

I'm fiddling with my dry hands as I hear the front door open again. Muffled welcomes take place in the previous room, my curiosity peaking as I hear multiple sets of feet make their way closer.

I know it's going to be him and her, yet still, my stomach is in knots. They're stood in the same place I was 10 minutes ago, the two on the couch stopping to welcome them.

His rich scent invades the air, my lungs suddenly feeling suffocated.

"Mom, dad. . . Monet."
.
.
.
.
.
.
Word Count: 1213