Chapter Ten

~•~

       I wear clothes that Alina picked out from the store. I put on baggy, wide-legged pants and a t-shirt I only hope matches. I like the feeling of my attire, it makes me feel elevated and confident. The clothes feel good against my freshly washed skin, and I decide I want to do something new today.

I was hoping Alina would visit me while I'm eating, but when there is a knock on the door, I can tell it's not her. It's the same woman that's has been bringing me food for the previous few days. She's nice, but I miss Alina. I'm not sure what she has been doing but I'm told she'll be back soon.

I've been sitting in my room, passing time. I've had many hours to think over everything that's happened since I arrived here, but still, I have yet to come to any conclusions. One thing I know for sure is the mate bond between Alpha Alaric and me is getting more intense the longer I am around him.

I decide it's time to get up and explore how capable I actually am. I stand, calculating the 10 steps it takes to get to the door, then another 45-50 to get to the stairs. There are 28 stairs, which, with the help of the railing, I safely make my way down.

It's before lunch and I want to get my own food today, something Alina and I did sometimes. We'd walk to the estates dining area, where there are multiple tables set array in a large room. I sniff around, catching the scent of something definitely worth eating. I follow it through an extravagant hall. I can feel how big it is, due to the slightly dense sound of my footprints. they echo through the empty hall, with all the people in the estate and no one is around. My arms extend to either side of my body, being sure I don't bump into anything. I make a slight turn, feeling a large doorframe hallow the wall.

The smell is stronger, letting me know I've almost arrived. I focus on the food, not even realizing I'm almost sprinting towards the source. I stop at another door and I can tell this is my destination. I remember the feel of the expensive walls when Alina and I were here last time.

I push the door open, stepping within the bounds of the room. I can tell there are others in the room, as I hear hushed chatter. Still, I focus on the scent of the food, slowly walking around inconspicuously.

"Hello, I don't recognize you. Would you like some breakfast?" The voice takes me by surprise, a female cook appears next to me. I accept, saying "yes, please." She tells me to sit, and I do after a minute of searching closely for a table and chair. I take this time to go over how to get back to the room, memorizing the patterns of my steps, to always know how to make my way here and back.

I feel someone take the seat next to me, delicately placing themselves in the chair. For the second time, I'm questioned about my presence in the Sanguis pack.

"I've never seen you around before, are you visiting?" The professionalism in her voice intimidates me, my natural instinct to agree with her, a small "yes" Is all I can muster, her aroma never dulling. She smells of sweet citrus, a freshly peeled orange. I have to admit, her scent is quite soothing.

"I can tell. You don't look like you're from this territory, it's refreshing." she says, again in a friendly tone. My previous confidence is almost all gone, now being faced with a real situation. I never anticipated this kind of conversation. When I don't say anything else, she continues. "My name is Genevora, what's yours, child?" She says in a motherly tone, but she seems nothing older than 25.

"My name is Monet." My hushed voice piques her interest, asking for the reason I am so nervous. "I may soon be your Luna, but you don't have to be scared of me," My cheeks burn, her words make me dizzy. She seems as if she has no emotion in her voice, only formality and professionalism. Luna? This is the woman who is going to bear my apparent mates mark. I immediately feel uneasy, mixed emotions fleeting their way up and up.