Chapter Twenty-Four

~ • ~

       My sleep ridden body stammers forth, my hold on the mysterious man's forearm as I lack slightly behind. I assume it is morning time, the crisp scent of dew in the air and the wet feeling encasing my feet, getting between my toes. I don't mind the moist feeling of my feet slipping against the grass to push me forward; I focus on it. I hear a light squidge each time I tramp my foot to the ground, then a splash on my back calf as I pick it back up.

I start to breathe heavy and slow down, but he still holds on and drags me behind. I'm not sure how far we made it out, but I'm assuming not far at all. My face contorts in an upsetting manner, knowing I have a long journey ahead.

"What's your name?" I manage to heave through my pants, though I'm not sure talking is the best option right now. He doesn't answer so I assume he either hasn't heard me or doesn't want to.

What is going on? My mind is tired, clouded, unconsciously moving without thinking about it. Who am I with? Where am I going? I'm so confused.

We keep our pace for what seems like a long time, but I'm not holding on any longer and my weary mind is now woken and sharp. I gained some stamina and I'm using the sound of the ground to tell me where I am and where to go.

I allow myself to fall into a sync of footstep after footstep, each time I pellet down, I see - or rather feel - further into the forest. My eyes close only gently and my arms point behind me in a mountain pose. It becomes natural and I don't even have to think, I weave through the forest alongside the man, his footsteps mashing into the sound of mine.

I think it's almost noon when we reach a river and stop, allowing our hearts to settle and limbs to relax. I don't know what is going on, but I know I'm out of Sanguine pack territory.

I lie on my back in the now dry grass, a sense of peace washing over me, despite the uncertainty of the situation. Nobody knows where I am, what my name is, and that my mate is an alpha.

"Morrison is my name, but I trust you not to tell a soul." I don't answer, I just accept it. I absorb the information and agree with it, letting it into my mind and then forgetting about it. I don't need to remember, I just need to be grateful.

"What's yours?" He hmms at my unresponsive voice. He doesn't even know my name, and yet he decided to break into my cell, drag me into the forest, and help me to escape. He did all that, and he doesn't even know my name.

"Monet." I respond in an easy tone, loud enough to be dragged away by the breeze. My hair wisps away with it, gently blowing with the grass, with the leaves, and with the whispers in the wind.

I sway my arms against the tips of the soft grass. From my sides, my arms float to make a T with my body, allowing the raw earth to soak through what is my meek body, and into my soul. A therapeutic way of letting go of everything but what serves me.

We stay there for awhile, not talking and or moving. We make it a point to rest before we know it's time to begin again, and I wonder how long my journey will last with Morrison. Perhaps not long, and I'd be okay with it. I feel myself being pulled to the other ends of the earth, exploring and understanding what it entails. I can see myself in foreign packs, exploring the way their cultures differ from my home pack.

"We need to shift." Morrison explains from my left, adding movement to the already flowing water. I only nod, standing to ready myself. He takes a few paces back, the familiar sound of crackling bones taking his place. I know he's done when I feel him next to me, a soft brush of his side against my exposed leg. I shift just as he did, giving myself a moment to adjust to the scene.

It feels wrong to trust a person so easily, but what other choice do I truly have right now. I can't be left alone in strange territory by myself, I don't know the first thing about being out here.

The sun hovers slick above where we stand. A direct shimmer contrasting the water deprives me partially of my sight, though it beckons me in nevertheless. The water is cool as it encases the thick layers of fur on my wolfs body. This is the first time she's been out in awhile, and I let her enjoy her moment of freedom before we have to move again.

I'm hesitant of the icy water at first, standing high as all four of my legs submerge. The water rushes softly down stream, lightly pushing me, but not enough to move my body. I anchor to the bottom and push my head in, feverishly shaking the water from my heavy waterlogged fur. I do it again, and enjoy it much better this time. The water incases my head as I duck under again and again, the feeling of being wholly surrounded making me feel safe and warm.

Now, it's more then my head that I submerge, and suddenly my entire body is underwater. It scares me but it gives me a new, rushing, freeing feeling. My body fills with energy and I begin to move my legs in a unison pattern, which gives me control on where I go. I allow the water to pick me up and my body loses all of its weight, as if I'm not even here anymore, like I don't have a physical body on earth. I float like smoke in the air, something I have never experienced and something I have never thought could feel so liberating.

I feel like I'm just conscience, not bound to any physical means of this ground, and if I wanted to, I could lift up from my body and fly away.

I make it to the other side and pull myself out, still processing the way I can float atop the water. Morrison crossed with ease, and we both know that it's time to go. Where, I'm not sure. Maybe somewhere safe.

~

Word Count: 1101

Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that there is only a couple more chapters before the ending of Blind Instincts. I'm sad to be almost done writing, but so happy that I finally finished this work that I started 2021.

Another thank you to everyone who read through. This is my first wholly completed book, and although I lost motivation for it for awhile, I am proud it's completed.

If you want to see more, check my profile to see more future works coming. :)