A De-Weaponized Promise

"These chambers are all over the city!" I say, growing weary as we approach yet another opening that looks into a darkened room. I touch my hand to a panel on the wall, and two of the windows light up, revealing twin sets of lizard-people. "Ugh," Mo groans, disgusted. "Turn it off, quick. They're not moving."

    "Maybe they're asleep," I offer. "Let's have another look."

    "No, Annie, don't. Don't!"

    I'm already opening the door closest to us on the left. A cool blast of air greets me, and I sigh, grateful for the break from the thick humidity of the tunnel. I stride purposefully into the chamber and move closer to the scaly, human-sized creatures. "Annie, what are you doing?" Mo hisses. "Get out of there!"

    "Some sort of suspended animation," I say to myself. They're stood on shiny metal discs inset into the clay ground. "What are these...?" I tap the toe of my boot on the edge of the one nearest to me, but the sound it makes is muted, not hollow as I was hoping. "The Doctor would know," I whisper. "The Doctor always knows." My heart lurches at the thought of him, and I'm filled with longing. I miss him. Somewhere in my mind I wonder if he's found Hunter. Then I wonder if they've killed each other yet.

    "Hey, look," says Mo, tearing me out of my reverie. He points up to the ceiling where there are two circular openings that seem to match the diameters of the discs beneath the dormant creatures. I stare at it for a moment as the puzzle pieces click together in my head.

"I've got it!" I say. "That's how they came up to the surface: some sort of powered transport discs. It's gotta be our way out of here."

    "Even better—weapons," Mo adds, taking the two large guns from the sleeping lizard-people and shoving one into my arms. "Come on, now we can fight back." The determination in his tone makes me reluctant to contradict him. He's a father on a mission. We exit the chamber more quickly, and I switch the lights off.

    "Which way now?" he asks.

    I take a wild guess. "Door at the end."

    "Are you sure?"

    "Nope."

    He follows me anyway, tightening his grip on the gun. I glance at him, nervous. "Do you really think we need these?" I ask. The one he gave me sits awkwardly in my grip, as if it knows I've never held a firearm before in my life. He stares at me. "You said you'd help me free Elliot."

"And I will. But do we have to use deadly force?"

"They used it to kidnap us! Besides, with so many of them against the two of us, what other choice is there?"

I sigh as we come to a stop by the door and angle myself toward him. "I don't know yet," I reply truthfully, "but I do know that if we take lives just to prove that we can, we are no better than the lesser beings they see us as."

Mo considers me with thoughtful eyes. "Do you have children, Annie?" he inquires.

I blink, slightly taken aback. "No, I-I don't. Not children of my own, at least."

"How do you mean?"

"I became a mother to my siblings when I was younger," I explain softly. "I know that isn't the same, but believe me, I am very familiar with the passionate desire to protect them at any cost. I would have lain my life down for them, and I still would—and I know you feel the same about Elliot." I take a step toward him. "We can carry these if they make you feel safer," I tell him, "but promise me that we won't use them."

Mo casts his eyes to the ground, then meets my gaze with his mouth drawn resolutely. "I promise."

Smiling slightly, I turn my body to the door. I expect it to be locked when I reach out to touch its knob, but to my surprise, it isn't. It's not even closed all the way; coaxed by my hand, it slowly glides open as if waiting for someone to look inside. Cautiously, I step forward, feeling along the edge of the inside wall for a lightswitch. My fingertips find another flat, square panel, and I hold my breath and press the biggest button I can find. Ceiling lights flicker to life, and I silently thank the stars that it wasn't a defense switch.

    "Wow," breathes Mo beside me.

    I stare around the room as row after row of lights illuminate the floor. It is vaster than any of the other chambers we have stumbled across, and it's filled entirely with the reptile-people encased in glass cylinders. Each is clad in a warlike uniform, an assortment of weapons hanging from belt loops and straps. On the nearer creatures, I can make out grenades, guns, and more weapons I cannot identify. They are all asleep, waiting for their call to wake and strike. Waiting for the battle cry.

    Mo breaks the stunned silence. "We don't stand a chance."

    When I speak, my voice is low and strong. "We have to find the Doctor."