Ambrose's Mistake

"I didn't know it would go like that, Dad," Ambrose says loudly, defensively, as she purposefully avoids looking at the lifeless Alaya.

Tony shakes his head. "My little girl, what have you done?"

"What happens now?" she asks Hunter, who stands pale-faced and wide-eyed. Horror floods his veins at the gravity of the new situation. They have just lost any leverage they had possessed at ensuring Annalise's safe return. His heart pounding, he opens his mouth without knowing what to say, but static inexplicably roars very near where he stands. He jumps violently. Together he and Tony lift a tarp off an old computer that is now alive with electricity, though it is not hooked up. They all stare at it, immobile with fear.

The scaly face of one of the creatures fills the screen, her features rather similar to Alaya's. "Who speaks for the apes?" she demands gruffly.

"It's them!" Ambrose gasps. "How are they doing that? How do they know we're in here?" As an afterthought, she moves out of view of the screen and quickly uses the tarp that had been on the computer to cover Alaya's body.

"Who speaks for the apes?" the lizard-woman reiterates with more force.

"Don't tell them what happened," Tony breathes to the other two.