(17) ENZO: JUNE 21ST, 2020

ENZO: JUNE 21ST, 2020

Maybe he was being a little petty — after all, Malachi didn't know about Enzo's feelings, so in his mind, what he was saying wasn't hurtful in the slightest.

But it still hurt. You're my best friend, why would I wanna kiss you?

Yeah, wanting to kiss your best friend is really weird, huh?

He had no right to be irritated, annoyed, upset — whatever. It wasn't Malachi's fault. He didn't know. Enzo understood this, so why was his heart still hurting whenever he looked at Malachi?

It didn't help that he was mildly hungover. It wasn't the worst feeling, but it wasn't the best either. He was bundled up in a blanket on the bench, watching Leo lay on the ground, phone held above his face.

Leo really fulfilled the queer stereotype — the whole sitting in weird places and even weirder ways. It could be cute in theory, but in practice? Enzo had no idea how he would want to lay or sit on the floor, especially if it was solid.

Enzo sighed to himself, tilting his head back and closing his eyes. It was quiet for once, probably because two of them were hungover and the other was focused. He wondered if Malachi was mad at him. He hoped not. He wanted to say something, but he was pretty sure it wasn't the best time for a serious conversation.

He threw the blanket over his head and blew out a breath. Maybe it was better to just... push it aside. He didn't want to ruin the trip because of his own feelings — feelings neither Leo or Malachi had any clue about. Shit happened. People didn't like you back. It was normal.

It was fine.

"Dude."

Enzo startled a bit when Leo lifted the blanket, paused, then put the blanket over both their heads. He was way too close. It had Enzo's heart thumping a little too hard and a little too fast. If he even moved forward slightly, they'd be kissing.

However, Leo ruined the moment by knocking their heads together purposefully, making Enzo yelp and flinch back, the blanket slipping off the both of them and falling to the ground. "What the fuck, Leo?" he complained, the contact only making his head hurt worse than it already was.

"You looked depressed," Leo said, shrugging, as if that was a valid reason to nearly give someone fucking brain damage.

"What, you think you knocked the depression outta me?"

"I mean, you don't look sad anymore. Just annoyed."

Enzo gave him a dull look. "I wonder fucking why."

Leo just grinned. That stupid, mischievous grin of his...

When Enzo rolled his eyes and looked away, he caught Malachi's gaze in the rear view mirror. He blinked, averting his gaze when Enzo caught him, hands sliding to the bottom of the wheel, tapping an absent rhythm as he waited at a red light.

They were headed to a café they read about online, far enough for them to not be able to walk. Apparently it was perfect for hangovers, is what Malachi said as he had watched them moan and groan like zombies for a solid hour after they woke up.

It had Leo's mood lifting immediately. The mere mention of food and he fucking sparkled. It was easy to cheer him up—way too easy, really. Shouldn't he have higher standards for himself? Or was being a simpleton just the road to happiness?

Enzo had a bit more trouble with that; he could get stuck in his own thoughts for longer than usual sometimes. He knew Malachi was the same. And he knew Malachi was lost in that moment — his quick averting of eyes, the need to do something with his hands, the tense shoulders—it said enough.