(12) MALACHI: JUNE 17-18TH, 2020

MALACHI: JUNE 17TH-18TH, 2020

"You know, Mal, I'm just now looking at the route — "

           Malachi facepalmed. Enzo was driving, and the boy just snickered from the front at the loud slap. "We're so many days in and you're just now looking at it?"

            "Listen," Leo said defensively, frowning, pointing a finger at Malachi's unimpressed face. "I get distracted very easily."

             "I know," Malachi stated. "Anyway. What were you gonna say?"

             Leo beamed. "We're gonna be in San Francisco on the 20th!" he exclaimed, looking more excited than ever. Malachi cracked a smile. "I didn't know we were gonna stop by there, holy shit."

Malachi nodded. "I planned this whole thing to be able to get there by the 20th," he admitted. "Their pride parade is on that day. I had a feeling you'd want to go."

Leo went silent, which was completely unlike him. He just stared at Malachi until he groaned and covered his face. "You're gonna make me cry!" he complained, voice wobbly. Malachi's eyes widened in alarm. "Mal, you're the fucking best. Holy shit, I love you, man. Please let me hug you."

              As much as Malachi really didn't want to be hugged, he kind of melted at how genuinely happy Leo was. So, he nodded, holding out his arms, grunting when the now-pink-haired boy slammed into him a little too aggressively.

He didn't realize Leo was actually serious about the fact he was about to cry until Malachi suddenly felt a wet spot forming on his shoulder. He awkwardly patted his back, then patted down the hair sticking up at the back of his head because it was bothering him.

Leo was refusing to move, he just remained there, hunched over in what had to be an uncomfortable position. But he was doing it, and he obviously wasn't planning on moving anytime soon. Honestly, he was most likely milking the situation since Malachi rarely gave hugs. Malachi would just let him do it this one time.

Malachi cleared his throat. "Are you done crying yet?"

"No."

"Ah. Alright." Malachi sighed heavily and leaned his head back, occasionally patting Leo's upper back when he remembered his hand was still resting there. "Um, please don't fall asleep on me or something."

                 "No promises," Leo mumbled, voice coming out muffled from where his face was pressed against his chest. "You're very comfy."

                  "If I were to tell you I'm really uncomfortable, would you stop?"

                  Leo scoffed. "Of course. I'm not a cishet man."

                  "Uh, I am."

                  Leo waved a hand dismissively, then dropped it back down at Malachi's side. "You get brownie points because you're friends with me, and you're not white."

                   Malachi cracked a smile. "Okay. I'll take it."

                   Leo hummed happily and stayed there. Malachi couldn't bring himself to shove him away like he usually did. Maybe another time. Then, "Wait. What about Enzo then? Does he get brownie points?"

"Uh, well — " Leo cut himself off, and Malachi looked down at him, confused. It took him a few seconds, but as soon as he realized, Enzo said: