36~termination

SOOJIN POV

It had been a couple of days and I was now finally ready to face the situation.

"You got this Soojin. Deep breaths, deep breaths."

Giving myself some personal encouragement, I prepared myself to enter the room.

I stepped inside, knocking on the wall firmly.

"Hyunsik?"

•••

HYUNSIK POV

I jolted at the sudden voice as I looked up and caught the sight of the girl I had missed.

"Soojin-ssi! Long time so see, come in!" I exclaimed gesturing for her to enter.

"What brings you to my office?"

I observed as the girl took a deep breath before speaking.

"I'd like to talk to you about my future here at Bighit."

My heart stopped instantly as I heard her words.

Trying to brush off any worrisome thoughts, I quickly spoke.

"Ah yes u-uh your debut! It has been scheduled to be in three weeks at Inkigayo. The ENHYPEN boys will be performing then too."

Watching her facial expressions fall into a blank state, I felt my muscles tense in anxiety.

"Actually Hyunsik, that's exactly what I wanted to talk to you about..." she dragged on.

"My debut. I won't be doing it."

Immediately I felt myself being hit by a truck.

I hoped this wouldn't happen...

"Soojin..."

The girl swallowed before continuing.

"I want to express my genuine thanks for everything you've done for me the year." she spoke, tearing up.

"Without you, none of this would have been  possible."

Her words shot a pang through my chest as I started to feel my eyes welling up.

"You've been like the father I've never had, I can't ever thank you enough for always believing in me and supporting me from behind."

At this point the girl was heavily sobbing, causing my tears to fall.

"Soojin. You have been nothing but a blessing to myself and the staff here at Bighit. We have been so lucky to have you around." I spoke, choking on my tears.

"Most of all, you've been so valuable to the ENHYPEN boys. You've brought them on journeys they would never have experienced otherwised, and because of that, you sacrificed your well being."

The young girl cried even harder as I continued to talk.

"Thank you Soojin. And I'm sorry for everything you've had to experience." I spoke genuinely, reaching from under the desk.

I searched through my papers before pulling out a folder labeled,

Contract Termination

I flipped through the pages before landing on one that I passed over to Soojin.

"Whenever you're ready."

I handed her a small black pen before watching as her tears stained her cheeks.

Her hand trembled as she held the pen closely to the surface of the paper. Steadying her composure, she finally signed on the line, indicating her approval.

I felt my body deflate as she placed the pen on the table.

"You did well, Soojin-ah."

•••

SOOJIN POV

As I exited the office, I felt my legs give out.
Collapsing onto the wall, I felt my emotions fall on me all at once.

Wailing into my knees, I felt my chest clench in pain.

So this is how it ends.

Letting the moment process, I took deep breaths and got up onto my feet.

Dragging myself down the hallway, memories of my time here came flooding at me.

The staff, the artists, the idols, passing down this exact hallway, greeting me.
The times when I'd get tripped by the TXT boys chasing the ENHYPEN members.

Everything was now a distant memory.

I finally reached the exit of the building, holding my luggage tightly in my hand.

I looked up at the large double doors and felt myself float to a year ago.

Flashback

A big breath heaved from my chest as I closed my eyes and pushed opened the heavy glass door.
I peeked my head in and to my surprise I found myself engulfed in a hoard of gorgeous girls pacing back and forth. Some were angelically singing their vocal chords out whilst others were fiercely strutting some dance moves.

Whilst still taking in the unfamilar ambience, I made my way to a table at the back of the hall where sat a woman and a familiar man in black.

"Hello" I bowed respectfully,
"I was approached my someone yesterday and was given your business card, may I know what your company is about?"

End of flashback

"Daebak."

I wowed in awe of how different life was back then. Naive old Soojin joining an idol audition just because her gay best friend wanted her to become the next Twice.

A feeling of nostalgia and sorrow washed over me as I realised that it was all coming to an end.

I picked up my luggage and took one last look around the place.

Thanks, Bighit.
You've been good to me.

Supressing my urge to stay put, I forced myself to approach the doors.

Swallowing my tears, I took my first step through the doors and out into the cool night of Cheongdam.

Hyunsik, Jay, Sunoo, Niki, Jungwon, Sunghoon, Heesung and Jake.

Let's meet again.