Chapter 13

Danny

After James left, I tried to get some sleep, but I really couldn't; I tossed and turned until I finally passed out, only to be rudely awakened an hour later to get ready for our flight

After James left, I tried to get some sleep, but I really couldn't; I tossed and turned until I finally passed out, only to be rudely awakened an hour later to get ready for our flight. I took a shower and changed into a suit, grabbed my things, and called the driver to meet me in the front.

Once I got to the main lobby, I hear another elevator bell ring, and a trail of voices was behind me, one I recognized because I would hear it in my dreams every night. I purposely slow down, and the next thing I know, I see Allison and her brother walking beside me.

"Good morning Allison" thankful that my shades are hiding my tired eyes.

"morning," she says flatly and then turns back to her brother, trying to ignore me as we stopped in front of the building waiting for cars to pull up. "Allie quit the attitude. Just because you aren't a morning person doesn't give you a reason to be grumpy to everyone else," I hear her brother whisper towards her.

Which surprised me because she never gave me the impression that she wasn't a morning person; each early morning PT session we had, she was warm, kind, and perky for it being 6 am I thought to myself, I see her shrug after being scolded by her brother who is walking in between Allison and me.

"Good Morning, bud; I'm Jason!" Her brother turns to me with a smile. "Good Morning, I'm Danny," I say back, matching his smile. He seems like a good guy, I thought to myself. "I know who you are," he responds with a deep chuckle, and I start to get nervous. What does know?

"Oh really?" trying to sound calm as I look over to Allison, who was still trying to ignore me. "Of course, man, everyone knows you! You are Danny Callister, I might play pro football, but we are a big hockey family too; I love the sport, and you're doing great this season. Of course, you had your moments, but every player has those days. Don't be so hard on yourself, bro," he says with a pat on my shoulder "oh right," I chuckled nervously.

"Thanks for the compliment man, I try, but it's hard to get out of your head, especially when it's something that you can't control," I say honestly, " I get it; there are times when I make a bad play I get hard on myself too but your talented you'll be fine" I nod back at his response back.

"That's right; he was NFL Jason Mayer. I remember both James and Allison saying her brothers are professional athletes. I'm just glad he's being nice to me. If he knew the heartache I just caused his sister, I would probably have got my face punched in.

"well, that's me, it's nice meeting you, man, good luck on the road" he reaches out for a handshake as his car pulls up and the valet gives him his keys. "Alright, little Dolly, let me know once you land and that you're all settled; you sure you don't want me to take you to the airport?" he leans in to hug his sister.

"I'm good; the cab should be here soon; you have a long drive anyway, give mom and dad a big hug for me, I heard mom is cooking your favorite pot roast and potatoes" she chuckles, and I feel the butterflies in my stomach go crazy just hearing her speak.