chapter 2

Danni's POV-

Summer was almost over and I was heading home from staying with grandparents from my dads side in Cuba.

As I walk down the street with my suitcase and backpack I saw two boys and what looks like to be their parents grabbing boxes from the car.

They must be Linda's family I remember my mum telling me one of the times we talked on the phone while I was away.

I shrug and light up another cigarette. None of my business.

As I walk past the mother smiles at me politely but I could tell by her eyes she was disgusted with how I was dressed and what I was doing.

I mean everyone is, I'm 18 wearing a crop top and a mini skirt with chains hanging with my famous leather jacket.

Dressed like what my grandmother likes to call a whore.

I smile back and let a puff of smoke out and walk across the street and into my driveway where I'm greeted with the door being pushed open

I quickly put my cigarette out in time for my sister to jump into my arms. My mum and stepdad walked out behind her.

I give her a hug before putting her down and going over to my mum and dad.

Even though hes my stepdad I started calling him dad after he and my mum had been married for a year.

He will never replace my dad but hes always been there he would hug me when I was upset, he came to all my school things and treated me like I was his blood daughter.

I give my dad a quick hug then turn to my mum as he goes to grab my bags.

"Missed you mum!" I smile and give her a massive hug. She hugs me back before pulling back a little to see my face.

" I love Joe and Christy but your never leaving me again" she says before pulling me into another hug. "Who will babysit Anni."

I sighed and gave her another hug, I love my mum but sometimes she forgets I'm also her kid and not just a babysitter.

Just as we're about to go in linda walks over with the people I saw on my way over.

Linda has always been in my life, she used to babysit me growing up and as I got older I would pop over to help her around the house.

"Hey lin, how have you been" I say as I wrap her in a hug before smiling politely at her family.

"I'm great thank you danni! Such a sweet girl as always" she says to me.

Only if you knew what I did in my spare time...

"Anyway this is my son, Chris and daughter in law Emma . And their children Mason and ollie!"

I shake their hands, and go to shake the boys hands but they just stare and me then give me a hug.

I look around confused and uncomfortable before their parents speak "okay boys that is enough why don't you go and see where your sister snuck off to"

I mouth a quick thank you before picking up annie who was pulling at my skirt.

"I take it someone missed their bigs sister" linda laughs.

I smile and say goodbye before walking into the house.

I put annie down at the table before going to the kitchen to help my mum bring the food out.

Once dinner was done, I put annie to bed as she refused to sleep if I didn't tuck her in.

I tell my mum I'm going to get some fresh air and sit on the sidewalk and pull out a cigarette.

She knows I smoke but we both choose to ignore the fact.

I feel eyes on me so I look up and see a girl staring at me through her window. That must be Linda's granddaughter.

What Is their problem with staring at least she won't hug me.

She quickly walks away making me laugh. I finish smoking and walk back into my house and going to my room to sleep.

I have a feeling that tomorrow is going to be my last day of peace before school starts.

Suddenly I find Annie in my bed, I swear I put her in her own room.

————
Edited on 03/01/2024 uk date.
733 words