Conversations

Diana

I stared out the window pane from my room and I was on the brink of dosing off. I spent most of my time observing everyone outside to pass the time, but boredom was getting the best of me. It's been days since I was taken captive and I've spent most days in this prison cell. Well, let's be honest, it was actually a luxurious guest bedroom with an en-suite bathroom, but it felt like a prison.

The more I had time to think by myself, the more I tried to make sense of all the decisions I've made over the last few months. I felt like I've been constantly making mistakes, and the only family that I could lean onto for advice was gone.

I kept thinking about Holden telling me he was sorry before I hung up on him. Why was he sorry? I felt like I knew the answer, but I was too scared to face it. I had to grow up and face the realities of my situation. I regret not listening to my father and brother, I regret agreeing to be Holden's mate so fast, and I regret opening myself up to Red that day back home.

"Stupid..." I felt the warm tears drip down my cheeks as I continued gazing outside at the sunny day.

"But mom!" A distant chatter of women walking with their children came into ear shot. I could see the kids playing rough with one another while one of the mothers tried breaking up the play.

I snickered as I focused on the smallest brown headed girl getting disciplined by her mother. It reminded me when I was young, I was always getting scolded for playing too rough with Adam. It seemed like an eternity ago.

"Miss you." I sighed at the thought of my old life.

I peered over in the other direction to see a large group of warriors training in a nearby field. They all were so coercive and content. Never pushing each other down, but rather the opposite. It was refreshing to see happiness in this pack instead of fear that Holden always pushed on his pack members.

As the mix of men and woman trained, I analyzed their movements. They were much bigger than Crimson pack warriors, but one thing was obviously apparent; this pack had fewer warriors than Crimson. Maybe it didn't matter to Damian, or maybe the warriors didn't need the numbers to win a fight. I've been watching them closely every day and their tactics and speed were not to be contended with.

Eric usually led the training exercises and would often glance over at my window, knowing that I was watching his every move. He always acted like he didn't see me, but I knew he was watching me.

I also knew Eric didn't want me here. He saw me as a risk and an outsider, so I understood how he was feeling towards me, but as the days passed, he started to grow on me. He would bring me decent food and clean clothes everyday since I moved in.

We started at first with idle chit chat that only lasted a couple of minutes, but eventually it turned into full out conversations that would last a whole hour. He would usually let me do all the talking, but I wouldn't go into detail about Holden and the Crimson pack. I spoke about my old life with my real family back home. He never pushed me to answer questions I didn't want to tell him, and I finally felt like he was opening up to me.

Whenever Eric brought Damian up, a weird pit in my stomach began to flare up. Eric didn't tell me where Damian ran off to, but he said he would be back soon. Deep down, I was sort of relived to get the space from him, I felt like I could think clearly about everything.

After the encounter with Damian, I started to have strange dreams that were more vivid than ever before. Dreams of him being in my room laying with me and embracing me in his arms. When I eventually woke up, I couldn't help to feel a sense of disappointment that it was just a dream.