Chapter 34: In transition

Chapter 34

“You do realize that our departure from the coven has surely sparked father’s suspicions?” Marcan continued and I glanced down at Tony.

“I had no choice in the matter. My mate is ill and I know of nothing that will cure him.”

For the first time since his arrival Marcan glanced at my sleeping mate. I had peaked his curiosity, but he had yet to show a willingness to provide aid.

“What ails him?”

“He was shot in the shoulder with a poisoned arrow.”

“Would I be correct in assuming that you have tried to heal him with your blood?”

“You would.”

“And you have of course pulled the poison from his body?”

“I have.”

Marcan nodded, his eyes moving over my mate in slow appraisal. “Then you know that there are but two options open to you in light of your attempts.”

I shook my head and he frowned.

“You must turn him.” Jorlon spoke.

“That is not an option.”

“Then you must let him die.” Pietre finished and I chose to ignore his words.

“You know what you must do brother. I do not see why you have summoned us here, unless it was to provide you with company while you made your decision.” Marcan’s eyes met mine and I held his gaze.

“I would not have called you here if I did not think you could help him. Do not insult me with your foolery.”

Marcan smiled without mirth. “Need I remind you of the reason you left the coven Riener? What of your obligation to meet with the children of the moon? Why do you waste the little time that we have on your human, when the continued existence of your coven depends on you?”

“I have already spoken with the wolves.”

His expression was one of surprise. “Have they agreed?”

“They are deliberating. I left Nathaniel to see to it while I assist Tony.” I assured him. “I have never before asked anything of you Marcan. Do not take this request lightly, not when the life of my mate depends on it.”

He turned away from me, his hands trapped behind his back, his posture straight and his movements sure.

“It would serve you right should I chose not to help you.”

I gritted my teeth but held back my retort.

“You deserve to feel the pain of losing someone you love.” He turned to me. “We should all dance with glee at the thought of your misery when he dies and I should take joy in your suffering after the fact.”

I could see the anger in his eyes as he said the words. I could sense his rage just as well as I could hear it in his steady voice and I knew just where he meant to take this conversation.

“Our mother—” I began.

“Yes brother.” He spat. “Our mother, whom you slaughtered without a thought and left us to mourn her for as long as we shall live.”

“There was never a time that I wished her harm.”

“Yet it was you who brought harm to her very head.”

“Had I the ability to change what happened I would do so without a moment’s thought, but as it stands, I can do nothing but mourn her alongside you brother. I—”