Chapter 11: His sick bed.

Chapter 11

~Kaio~

“More blood would help.” I tried to convince him but he only shook his head, then flinched as he turned onto his side. Had it been My Lord’s blood he had consumed he would have healed long ago, but my diluted plasma was not enough to completely heal his extensive wounds and with him continuously refusing  my help, I had to sit and watch him suffer.

Every time he flinched I felt equally tormented, as if his own pain were mine and as I had been many times over, I was tempted to just force my help onto him, consequences be damned. It was only the trusting way in which he looked at me that held me in check.

“Are you hungry? I could make you something, you’ll find I’m quite handy in the kitchen…just name it and it is yours.”

“I’m fine…help me up.”

I crossed the room to where he lay and helped him into a sitting position.

“Thank you… I think maybe I just need some air.” He panted, clearly tired from the small exertion.

“Air will not ease your pain.”

“Neither will being cooped up inside.”

I shook my head. “It is safer inside…my coven...it’s not a good place for a human, I told you.”

“Tony’s human.”

“Of course but Tony is my lord’s mate, no one would dare lay a hand on him...you on the other hand are simply the mate of but a lowly drudge…no one but me cares for your safety.”

“I can take care of myself.” He said firmly, his eyes steadily holding mine.

I smiled. My brave warrior.

“You and I both know that to be a lie Malik you can barely take a step without falling over.” His eyes drifted closed then and his brows furrowed as if he had a headache, but he didn’t argue and I suppose I should be glad of that, because something told me that when he was fully healed his days of heeding my words would be over.

I walked over to the floor to ceiling windows and glanced out over into the courtyard. “I think I may have underestimated Tony. It so happens he may not be as bad as I once believed.” I offered in the way of conversation and he cracked an eye open to peer at me in askance.

“He’s an angry guy, I never thought he was bad.”

“Yes well, you weren’t the one he murdered.”

He smiled then, one side of his mouth turning up in that signature smile I loved.

“You goaded him, what did you expect?”

I shifted to face him completely. “You’re defending his crime?”

He chuckled, then clutched weakly at his chest. “What changed your mind about him?”

“You don’t spend the day with someone without learning a bit more about them. Let’s just say I gathered a lot yesterday and now it seems we are friends…I’ve never had a friend before, I quite like the feeling.”

“That’s good then, maybe you can convince him I’m not the bad guy he thinks I am too.”

I shook my head. “It would take a lot more than my word to convince him of that. He is of the belief that you are hiding something-which of course you are and he also thinks you mean to do us all harm.”

I glanced his way. He had his bruised lower lip trapped between his teeth as he contemplated something.

“What did you tell him?”