Chapter 41: What lies within

Chapter 41

~Tony~

Gone was the cocky attitude, the annoying confidence and the know-it-all grin. In its place was uncertainty and maybe just a touch of nervousness.

It was definitely a far cry from his usual disposition.

"I guess you heard everything then." He was saying now, eyes not quite meeting mine and his fingers knotted together in front of him.

"I heard enough." I replied in a voice that no longer sounded like my own. My throat felt as though it had been rubbed raw with sandpaper and every time I swallowed it hurt like you wouldn't believe.

I glanced over at Kaio, who stood at the foot of my bed, watching me with an expression I could only describe as awe. When he caught my eyes he offered a small smile.

"It's true." Malik was saying and I glanced back at him. "You're my brother."

"My parents died in a car crash when I was just a scrawny little kid and I lived in foster homes until I was nineteen." I told him quietly. "Throughout all those long years I'd go to bed every night and wish for a brother or a sister or any sort of family to take me away from there and through all that wishing and hoping; that brother and sister never came. So if you really are who you say you are, then why now, why at all?"

Finally he met my eyes, determination burning bright as he watched me. "Those people who died in the accident weren't your parents. If anything they were your kidnappers." he began and I felt the low throbbing begin in my temple. "You were taken right from our own backyard. You were just a toddler...barely even able to walk."

I could only look at him. With every word he spoke, the more drained I became and when he opened his mouth to continue, I turned my attention to Kaio.

"Where's Rien?"

His eyes went to the phone he held and he frowned at the screen. "He had an urgent matter to attend to. He will be back here as soon as time allows."

I glanced around the room, taking in the rows and rows of empty beds and the bare white walls.

"Which hospital is this?"

Kaio and Malik exchanged a look. "This is not a hospital. It is merely a place for you to recuperate. We have taken refuge here for a while until Lord Riener negotiates a plan of action."

Even reaching up to run a hand over my forehead took some effort. "What plan? What's going on?"

"Perhaps when you are better rested we may discuss it."

"Tony, if you'd just give me a chance I'd like to explain everything. I want to tell you about our parents and how I managed to find you after all these years." Malik tried again and I took a breath.

"Maybe when I'm better rested we can discuss it." I recited Kaio's words and to my surprise Malik grabbed my hand and squeezed.

"I swore to myself that I'd tell you everything when you woke up. I'm done with the secrets."

"And I'm not in the mood to hear them." I told him firmly and it was the truth. I was feeling all kinds of banged up. Everything hurt and I was tender in places I didn't even know were there. My head was throbbing, my throat was raw and the longer I kept my eyes open, the more I found myself losing focus of everything in the room. I wasn't in the mood—not for anything and certainly not for this.

"You're stubborn... I get that. It's something I've had to deal with since I met you." Malik continued to make noise. "But I've got a lot to say and I'm not leaving here until I do."