Obsessions Part 70

It was your day off. Karin called for you in her office.

"Hold them like this," she said.

"In between my fingers?"

"Yes, yes. Just like that. You're doing good."

"Do I just flick it like so?"

"No, no. Hold the one and the six between your thumb and index finger. You have to control your throw. In this way, the die will have a higher probability of rolling a number other than the one you were pressing onto. For example, like now, you're holding onto one and six. Therefore the remaining numbers 2, 3, 4, and 5 will likely come out."

"I see."

Karin guided your hand as she demonstrated the direction and force you had to follow to get your desired results.

"You're a fast learner. Keep on doing this and you'll master one of the ways to play with dice." Karin said.

"Yes ma'am, I will."

"Y/n."

You turned your head to look at the woman. A frown painted her face. One of her hands rested on your shoulder while the other was still holding onto your hand. Your face flushed as you realized how close she was to you.

"M- ma'am?"

"I truly want to hear you call me mama."

"Eh!? But... But..."

"I have divulged unto you our story. Me and Chizuru, I mean. I loved your mother so much, I regret not even being able to meet her again. But now that you're here, Y/n, I want to give you the love of a mother that you haven't had the chance to feel. I want to do this on behalf of Chizuru."

"I appreciate the thought, ma'am. You being Kirari's mother, I'm also beginning to see you as mine. It's kind of embarrassing to call you that way though."

"I see. But you don't have to be. At least once, can you call me that just this time?"

"I..."

"Please, Y/n."

Karin's blue eyes stared intently at you. Her face seemed to inch closer to you as she waited for you to say it.  She was so close, you could smell her sweet perfume. Your eyes darted down to her plump lips which were coated with an oceanic tint. It was slightly agape.

"Mama." You whispered.

As soon as Karin heard it, her eyes welled up. In the next second, you were enveloped with the warmth of her embrace. It felt so good you were about to cry yourself.

"From now on, I want you to remember that we're family and we will always be. I will take care of you as my own. I will love you as Chizuru would. I promise..."

You heard a sob. It wasn't Karin though. You realized the sound came from you. Your sight began to blur as the warm liquid ran down from your eyes. You wanted to wipe them but you can't move. Karin was clutching on to you too tight.

"Y/n... Thank you."

"For what?"

"For coming into our life. Kirari adores you a lot. I can see it. Ririka has also opened up a bit ever since you came."

"I should be the one thanking you for accepting me."

"I have to admit. At first, I had my doubts. I planned on using you before, but now I know you deserve my daughter's affection."

'You won't say that if you knew how much Kirari cried because of me' you thought.

"I'm also thankful that you're here. Even just a little, I can feel Chizuru's presence in you."

You remained silent. Karin wasn't letting go of you. You cant see her expression because her head was slumped on your shoulder though you can feel her hands playing with your hair. You let yourself indulged in her warmth. You held onto her back, reciprocating the hug.

"I love you," Karin mumbled.

Your eyes widened and you shoved her back. Her expression mirrored the shock you had. Then she chuckled. She covered her eyes with her hand while laughing bitterly. Tears won't stop flowing out of her.

"Sorry. I just really miss her. I..."

You reached out to remove her hand.

"Do I look like mom?" You asked.

"Mhm. A little."

"Can you tell me more about her?"

"I could but it won't be much since we were separated when we were teens."

"That would do."

"Alright."

Karin told you more about her life with Chizuru when they were at school. You examined her face as she talked. She looked dreamy every time she says your mother's name.

"Don't be as reckless as her!" She told you as she relieved the times Chizuru gets into little mishaps every time the latter thought of random adventures.

When Karin finished talking, she stared at you with gentle eyes.

"Chizuru was a lot more skilled than me. She thought me most of what I know about dice."

"So mom was a better cheater?"

"You could say that. But only in gambling and other games. She always had so many tricks up her sleeve. One time I asked her about the best gimmick she knows."

"And?"

"I didn't believe it of course. She said she can see everything in slow motion if she focused. How is that even possible? Does she control time?"

You blinked.

"I got mad at her. I told her she was playing me for a fool. She apologized and said she was joking. She got me from her flirtiness after that."

"Oh."

"Anyway, let's get back to your lessons. I'm going to make you a master on the art of dice gambling." She said.

She winked at you and proceeded to lecture you. She was a strict teacher. She wouldn't let you rest until you got one part right. It wasn't until Kirari picked you up that she let you go.

"Did mama tire you out?" Kirari asked.

"Uh-huh. I learned a lot though."

"I'm surprised you survived."

"Does she use to teach you like that too?"

"Yeah. Why do you think I'm so good? I had help too, you know. I wasn't born with the knowledge of gambling. I was trained."

Kirari went in front of you and showed off her card skills. You watched her until she got tired, which of course, took only a few minutes. She acted exhausted just to cuddle with you.

----

I really like this Karin photo...