We Meet Again

SPOILERS FOR SEASON 4

I walked down the stone stairs by boots clicking every step I took. I reached the bottom and opened the wooden door the two guards saw me and nodded allowing me to stay in the room alone with him. He sat staring at the wall without taking notice of my presence. I walked over to his cell and reached my hand up sticking in the key i had taken from the unsuspected gaurd. I slid the key into the key hole and turned it allowing the door to open.

I swiftly walked in and closed the door behind me. He still payed be no attention it was as if he was in his own little world. I finally walked over and sat on the bed next to him. This got a reaction out of him. He slowly turned to meet my gaze. His eyes widened but he tried to keep a calm compusre. I smiled. He still had the same eyes

"What are you doing here I thought you were are good as dead" I saw what he was trying to do.

"Yes I was in a coma but I seem to be doing better, I came to check on you"

"Why" he said in a confused tone he tried to hide.

"Everyone told me you had changed and I couldn't believe it but standing here in front of you. I could tell..." I paused he looked a bit sad. "They were wrong" his eye widened a bit.

"If you truly believe that you're stupider than I thought" I burst out in laughter. "Why are you laughing are you and idiot?"

"You know they've been with you for 3 years and it probably seems to them like you've changed since they have seen it happen and you were able to sell the performance. But i haven't seen you in 3 years so I know that although you're putting out this appearance it's an act. They might've fallen for your little play but I can see right through you." he stayed silent.

"You're naive"

"No I don't think I am" I reached for his hand and grabbed it I excepted him to pull away but he didn't. I know he's probably lonely right now. I squeezed his hand "I know that whatever you're doing it's for a reason we can't understand. You were born into this world with a big responsibility I understand that well. I know you're doing what you think has to be done. And you know what maybe you're right maybe you're wrong. I wouldnt know what to do. But I just want you to know after this is all over there's no way I'm going to hate you. Remember that" I stood up and pulled him to my chest. I caressed his hair. I felt his body shiver. He finally pushed he away. I could see his eyes shine. Not enough to where he teared up but it was something. Enough for me.

"You're not my mom stop trying to act like it. I don't care what you think of me" The smile still stayed on my face. He needed to see I wasn't going to crack. I could see a small light in his eyes to anyone else it would've been invisible but it was a small sliver of hope I would hold on to.

"Maybe I'm not you're mom but you're my family" he stood up angry. He looked down on me he had grown tremendously. He placed his hands on my shoulders

"Stop spouting out useless shit" I cooled my shoulders so they would be freezing temperatures to the touch. He lifted up his hands in pain and winced. He looked down on his hands his fingers were frozen. He looked back to meet my eyes again.

"You're not the only one with fancy new powers Eren" I lifted my foot and slowly tapped it down. The entire cell froze. "You think that I just got a free second chance at life? You know I've been thinking, the ones who gave me this power said that something was coming I really hope that's not you " He looked around and saw icicles protruding off the wall. I slowly began melting the ice and let it evaporate. "As much as I hate to say this Eren if it has to be done I have to do it. But it's not because I hate you it's because I love you"

"You're just like the rest of them; slaves. Tied down by the power you were given. Pathetic"

"You think?" I chuckled. "I'm not tied down to anything. I could get rid of this extra power I was given. My people are dead. There's no reason to fight. But... I still do. Not because I need to but because I want to. I'm as free as you can get." he stayed quiet. "I don't know what your plan is. But I know you're not as selfish as you're trying to portray yourself." I walked over to him and put my hand over his evaporating the ice on his hand. I finished and walked over to the door opening it and locking it behind me. "Next time we meet which from the looks of it will be soon. I won't be so lenient. I can't stand idly by if you decide to change the plans that have been set so far. You already went to Marley on your own so I don't doubt it'll happen soon enough. There had to be a reason why I came back. Please don't be that reason" I began to walk away. I reached the door and put my hand on the handle. "Please don't live a life full of regret."

_______________
Hey guys I finished the AOT manga and it was amazing. I definitely cried more than I should have. Anyway I wrote this before I decided to end the book the way I did and in honor of the manga finishing I felt like I needed to post this. This scene had been in my head and it just felt off not seeing one last interaction between Isa and Eren so I hope you enjoyed that little snippet. I just want to say Thanks to Isayama for making one of the best pieces of modern fiction.