Chapter 10: Learn to Live

I woke up to knocking on the door, as I took off the blanket that was wrapped around me. I checked the time on the wall: 10:30. Wait.. there's no school? Oh, the festival. I stood from the couch and began folding the blankets. After folding them, I checked who was at the door.

As I opened the door, I noticed there were two silhouettes through the window. Who could..

Oh my god it's the two lovers. 

"Hey Okawa! We're planning on celebrating for the festival that's happening. Hey, what's the festival for, honey?" Akira asked Rhed, as his arm was wrapped around her.

"Oh, it's the festival of family and Love!" Rhed said, while cuddling Akira.

Gross guys, get a room.

I invited them in and began to make me and them breakfast.

"Why're you here? Isn't Yuki with you?" I asked them, while cracking an egg into the pan in front of me. 

"We were kinda hoping she'd be here with you, now that you two decided to hook up." Rhed said, while Akira leaned on his shoulder.

"She left with her brother- wait wait I am not hooking up with her, alright? I just needed a place to stay because that asshole Kokoru burned my house down." I said, as the two of them began to laugh.

"PPFF, Nope! If you really needed a place to stay, you'd come over to my place!" Rhed said, laughing at me.

"I would've, but I'd be listening to you two going at it like animals all night." I said, as they stayed silent. 

I began to cook the bacon I had taken from the house, and now that I think about it, why did I pack bacon?

"So the plan is: I know this GREAT bar a friend of mine owns. He has the good stuff, and he sells them at a price, but because my luck, he'll give us a discount." Rhed said, as he pulled out two full wallets.

"How far is it?" Akira and I asked.

"We came early because the ride there is close to the festival, so 3 hours away. Luckily, the midnight train rides through, so we'll be taking that one back home." He said, as the bacon fried and popped. 

Suddenly the whole house, including Rhed and Akira, were silent.
"What happened, you t-"

All three of us stared at Yuki's mom, who stared right back, confused. 

It was silent for, what felt like, three minutes before I realized.

"OH CRAP THE BACON!" I flipped the bacon onto a plate and it ended up looking perfect with scrambled eggs and Bacon to eat. She gestured that I talk to her, so I gave the bacon and eggs to Akira and Rhed.

"Sorry to ask, but who are you? Why are you in my house? Why are you using my food?" She asked, as I stood there, embarassed.

"I'm Yuki's friend, Okawa. I'm re-"

Her mom's eyes began tearing up and she fell to the floor, saying:

"Thank you! Thank you for stopping my daughter from taking her life!" She said, crying into my legs.

"Hey hey hey, don't cry. I did it because she wasn't thinking right, its no problem whatsoever." As I began to kneel down to her level and began to comfort her. Rhed and Akira walked past us, and he looked at me, giving me a thumbs up and gesturing I.. do it.. with Yuki's mom. I flipped him off as he chuckled and walked outside.

3 minutes later I went outside, and she waved us goodbye. 

"Ayy you're hitting both Yuki and his mo-"

I tapped his face, as he began to laugh.

As we entered the train to go to the bar, and as Akira and Rhed began to snuggle, I decided to reminisce on my past. I remembered that mother was always a single mom working hard, because dad was a slacker. Life was hard, and they depended on me to get them pay, because dad was useless. I remember one day the pressure got to me, and I decided to run away. I was 16 at the time, and enrolled myself into the public school AAHS. I didn't know I'd be meeting Rhed there. If it weren't for him I wouldn't be he-

Someone bumped my back, as they began to walk into the next car. 

"Sorr-"

Fruity? 

"HEY, wait. I have some questions for you." I held him back by the shoulder. 

"Okawa? Get out of my way, I've been told to do something." He said, moving himself away from me.

"And that is..?" 

"Just stay out of my way." He said, parading through the crowd and fading back into obscurity.

Eventually, we reached our stop, but it was a one hour walk. So we got walking.

"Hey Akira, you seem really happy today, what's up?" I asked her, as she began to prance and hop excitedly. 

"It's the festival of love! You're just grumpy you don't have anyone to love yet!" She said, as she jumped and landed in Rhed's arms. 

After a while..

"The bar's up ahead. We took 2 hours to get here. Great job, Okawa." He said, as we all laughed and Akira strolled inside.

Rhed held me back, asking me a question.

"Hey, I'm not gonna be drinking, alright? You two are gonna be drunk as hell, someone's gotta keep sober." He said.
"It should be me! You're gonna have a great time with Ak-"

"I'm staying sober. You don't know how to live, Okawa. Learn to Live a little, dude." As he brought me inside.