Chapter 12: Why are We Here?

I woke up to something shattering. Was it in my house? I sit up and open the door outside of my room. As I walk downstairs, I see Fruity standing in confusion with a baseball-sized rock surrounded by glass. I look up and see a hole in my window, just big enough to fit my fist into it.

"Fruity? What the Hell are you doing?" I asked him, as he stared at the hole in the window. 

"Oh, hey Kokoru! I'm here to walk you to the Festival, it takes forever so let's get going early!" He said, as I looked down and saw that I was still in my slumber-wear.

"Why don't you come inside?" 

I begun to make breakfast for the two of us, as Fruity couldn't take his eyes off of me. I pulled out a couple of veggies and poured some chicken stock into a pot and began to stir. 

"My mom taught me how to make this. I loved her quite a lot." I told Fruity, as he sat up.

"How was she like?" He asked, as I kept stirring.

"She was amazing. In the War of Flying Men, my father was one of the pilots told to fly into a set target to blow himself up. He wanted to do it, and told himself that he was doing this for the better of his country. But by the time he was going to end himself, my mother had died due to a mysterious illness. Because of the law at the time, he was pulled out of Military Duty to take care of me." I said, as Fruity began to sit up.

"My mother's passing took a toll on me, and I was devastated at the time. Once my dad had come home, he often attacked me for not being able to defend my mother. Eventually, I learned how to fight back, and stopped him myself." 

"Oh, that's how you defended me at the Lunch Fight." He said.

"Well that's enough about me." I said, pouring out two bowls of soup out for the two of us. As we began to eat, he asked:

"Hey, what time is it?" 

"Oh it's.. 10:30?" I said, eating faster. Once I had finished, I went upstairs into my room, as he followed after.

We began conversing about what we were planning on doing there.

"Hey, what do you plan on doing at the festival?" I asked, as I began changing out of my slumber-wear and into what I normally wear.

"Well, I was plannin-..Whoa." He said, looking at me.

"Something happen? What're you planning?" I asked him, but he just stared at me.

I had finished changing and he had a nose bleed, as blood began to run down his nose.

"Hey, you're bleeding. Here, I got it." I said, as I wiped his face clean of the blood from his nose.

I wore my suit and walked out of my room. Fruity followed, but not without something.. off about him. 

"So what's the plan?" I asked him, as we walked to the train station. 
"O-Oh, uh.. Ahem. Uhm.. We're just gonna go to the Festival and have some f-fun." He said, gripping the between of his legs.
"Sounds good." I said, walking into the station. 

As the train squealed and stopped itself, the doors opened. I began to walk into the door, but LOADS of people began entering, splitting me and Fruity.

"Aw shit." I whispered under my breath, as Fruity popped his hand up and was taken into a car far away from us. I was pushed into the 2nd most car of the train. As for Fruity, I couldn't see enough to know where he was.

Fruity, 2 stops later, finally appeared behind me. 
"Okawa and his friends are here." He said, as I turned to face him.
"Don't worry about them. They aren't bother-"

My words were interrupted by a child, who ran into my stomach.
As I pulled the child's hair back to see it's face, it was a boy. The same boy we had rescued a long while back. 

"Him again? Wh-"

"My mom got off a few stops ago, I don't know where she went or where she stopped!" He said, burying his head into my stomach. 
"God this kid needs a better mother. Ok so: Fruity, you go ahead and go to the festival ahead of time. I'll try meeting up with you after I drop this kid." I said, and he nodded his head.

"Oh and.. I need you to look after Yuki and her little brother. IF they're there, there are A LOT of drunks, especially because today is a holiday for most jobs and schools. If they get hurt, Okawa gets even more pissed. That's a No-No, especially because I'm in hot waters with him right now. I have a feeling she'll be there, you and I both used to know her, and she wouldn't pass up an opportunity to have fun with her little brother." I said, as he agreed and I got off of the train.

"So Mister, what are you planning on doing to help me out?" He said, as we began to walk to the nearest bus station.
"We're gonna take a bus. The bus ride takes a while, so you'll need to take a nap while we get there." I said, as he began smiling.
"I love sleep!" He said, jumping around.

My lips curved into a.. smile? Wait, what was that just now?

We entered the bus, and I set him down in the seat in front of me. Once the bus started moving, he had fallen asleep.

I hadn't even had time to think before a familiar voice rang out.

"Kokoru?" 

I looked over and saw Yuki. And immediately my eyes widened. I didn't think I'd see her here of all places, I'd expect Fruity to see her first. I knew I needed to say something, and quickly. 

"About what I had said to-"

"Why don't you like me-" 

"Please don't interrupt me, I'm trying to be nice." I said, as she looked surprised. I let my feelings take over my mind and let my chest do the talking. 

"Listen to me. I am sorry for saying things that would've made you want to die. It wasn't my intention, but you asking to be my friend, it off-put me. I wasn't ready to be a friend then." 

"It wasn't you, the girls picked up after you. They always thought what you did was so cool, so they did it to me." She said, as it finally hit me. I looked over at her, as my head began to rush with thoughts and memories of people making fun of her. It took me 2 seconds to realized the bus was stopping.

"I'm sorry. But I need you to tell Okawa it wasn't me that started his house fire." I said, as I picked the kid up and the bus doors opened. I picked the kid up and woke him up, as the two of us began to walk to where I think his mother was last time I saw him run to. '

It gave me time to reflect. Reflect on memories and actions, actions I had done.

Like when I killed that deadbeat I called my father.