Prologue

Hayden.

There was ten seconds left in the last quarter. We were up by two points; Timberwolves 42 and the Lions 40. My whole team was exhausted and we wanted to quit. This was our toughest game of the season yet and we didn't wan't to lose.

The whole gymnasiam was filled with people of all ages. Parents, older adults, teenagers, and young kids. The side of the gym that was the noisiest was the side that was the student section. I'm pretty sure that our school has the most school spirit because the bleachers were filled up, people were being crammed into the corner entrances.

Coach Burdick had called a time out. With us five girls out there we ran as fast as we could in the huddle even though we were dying for water and a rest.

"Okay girls, you have this in the bag. We maybe be up by two points, but we can get a couple more baskets and win this. I know you can do this. Everyone knows you can win this!" he said suggesting everyone in the gym that was cheering. "Natalie, I want you to pass the ball to Hayden. Hayden, once you have the ball, dribble it to waste time but don't let it get stolen. If anything, let them foul you." after he said that, the buzzer on the clock went off meaning the time out was over.

"Okay ladies we got this." I said. "Hands in. Team on three, one to three,"

"Team!" we all cheered as the five of us girls went back in. 

It was our ball. Once the ref handed the ball to Natalie she had struggled to pass it to me as our opponent was guarding us pretty good. But then I made the escape move that my brother had taught me and I became open.

Natalie had passed it to me and I was dribbling it down the court. Only five seconds left. With on step to the right the girl who had been gaurding me had totally pushed me hard on the ground with me landing on my knee.

I cried out in pain as the ref blew the whistle calling it a "Foul!" just then every Timberwolf fan screamed with happiness. We only had a few seconds left and I had the chance to get us two more points ahead. "You okay to shoot two?" the ref had asked me as I was still in pain with my head against the ground. 

"Yeah." I didn't want to give up on my team. I couldn't give up on them. After getting help up by Natalie and Donna I limped over to the free throw line. I took one glance over where my brother was standing and he gave me the biggest smile and did the hand movement that we always did together when one of us were shooting. We would close our eyes, pretend to dribble and shoot with a follow through. After I saw him do that, I nodded and smiled. 

My left knee was throbbing and I felt like it was bruising by the minute. Once the ref passed me the ball, I put all my weight on my right foot, and bounced the ball three times before I flipped it. I then lifted the ball up, took a moment to breathe and shot it as I saw it go right through the net with a swish. 

The crowd and my team on the bench went wild. That put us at 43 to 40. Just one more time, I can make this. I did the same three bounce, flip and I shot it and it was quiet as the ball went around the rim before going into the net. Again everyone went crazy. 

My team hugged me but Coach Burdick yelled as we still had three seconds left in the game. 

I gaurded my girl who was pasing the ball in and even though she was a little bigger than me, and my knee was killing me, I gaurded her as if my life depended on it. She had found a good spot to pass it in to her teammate, but I saw what she was doing in time and snatched it away, passing it to Donna as she shot the three right as the buzzer went off. 

We had won. 46 to 40.  Our whole team went and attacked Donna as the whole gym went crazy. As we shook hands with the opponent team saying good game, the girl who had knocked me down stopped and told me, "Sorry for knocking you over, I just wanted to win, but you proved you wanted it even more. You're a good player." she then walked off with her team as her coach blew up on everyone for losing. 

I was looking for my brother in the crowd as everyone started  leaving when I spotted him. With all my might, I ran up to him and hugged him for dear life. After he put me down he smiled down at me proudly. 

"You did really good sis." he replied messing up my sweaty hair.

"Thanks. For a second I thought we were going to lose."

"Well you didn't, and it's all because of you."

"You saw Donna shoot that three for us."

"But you shot those fouls and made them. You stole the ball and passed it to her. You should realize that you truely won." now he seemed like a therapist.

"Yes brother of mine." I smiled up at him. 

"Hay, coach is waiting in the locker room." said Brooke as she walked in the locker room direction.

"Okay!" I yelled back. "I'll be right back. Don't leave."

"Promise I wont." he said as I walked away.

Once I walked in the locker room everyone started clapping and cheering. Did they do that just for me? "Go Hayden!" they yelled. "Good leader!' some others said. 

I couldn't help but smile as I knew that this season was going to be the best yet. Well it is senior year after all. 

Sooooooooo......this may almost sound like the cliche brothers bestfriend, or bestfriends brother kind of story, but I thought I'd add some basketball to it, so it's my kind of style than the original ones.

Well I hope you enjoyed this bit. 

And if you are a Basketballer.....this story is for you!!!(:

VOTE. COMMENT. FAN.

<3NeaJoy95