Chapter 7

After reaching home I thank Ryan yet again and ask him to come inside my house so that we can work up a schedule for my extra lessons. Mom is at work and Dad is upstairs probably sleeping. "Would you like something to drink? Water? Orange juice?" I ask him. "Water is fine." He says and plonks down on the sofa. I grab a bottle of water from the refrigerator and hand it to Ryan, after fishing in my bag for a book and pen I then sit on a recliner in front of him ready to tackle this problem. "Why are you so closed off?" Asks Ryan out of the blue. I stare at him bewildered. "I'm not closed off, I have friends." I said a bit offended. "Hardly. You should let people in, not all of them are bad." He said and took the book from my hand and started writing in neat block letters. After discussing for about an hour we decided that on school days he'll be available from three p.m to four thirty and after that he had football practice. I felt bad for him. He had a hectic schedule as it is and whatever extra few hours he gets they'll be occupied by helping me with trig. "I'm sorry, you have to spend your free hours teaching me. Really it won't be necessary if you don't want to help me, I'll totally understand." I said, giving him an out. "You wanna get rid of me Callahan?" He asked. "Is my company so despicable for you?" He mock faked hurt and I punched him in the arm "Ow, you pack a mean punch, Callahan." He winced rubbing at his arm. He removed his letterman jacket and threw it in his backpack. His T-shirt clung to his chest like a second skin. It seemed like he worked out. A lot. And I immediately averted my gaze not wanting to get caught ogling him, yet again. "So I'll see you tomorrow, Callahan and I'll let you know about the salary as such." He said, then I went to leave him at the door. Before he could open it though, Dad called me from somewhere up the stairs. "Is it you, Paige?" He asked and Ryan turned around. "Uh dad, this is Ryan, he's here to help me with Mathematics." He came downstairs all the way towards the door and was watching him with suspicion. He looked a lot thinner I noticed all of a sudden. "Good afternoon Sir, it's nice to meet you." said Ryan extending his hand. My father shook it and narrowed his eyes at him. "No funny business. If you hurt my baby girl, you'll be very sorry." he said and I was completely mortified. "Dad! He's here just to help me. There's nothing going on." I yelled at him my face turning twenty shades of red. No doubt I looked like a tomato. He's way out of my league, heck there's not even a league if it comes to him and me. I mean look at me I look nothing like his usual types they're all size twelve, tanned blondes with legs that goes on for miles. Not as average looking as me five foot nothing with plain brown hair, dull gray eyes and too many curves.
I quickly ushered him outside the house before my dad could further embarrass me. "Sorry about that." I laughed awkwardly. "I'm not sorry at all! And I mean it." My dad yelled from inside the house and I grit my teeth in frustration. "God, it's so embarrassing. I'm really sorry about my dad. He's a bit... overprotective of me." I said. "I can understand. No problem." He said and I exhaled in relief that he didn't make fun of me especially for the fact that dad thought we both are 'together' and doing 'funny business'. "Okay so I guess I'll see you tomorrow." He said and was off down the driveway. "Hey Paige!" I heard someone call. After hearing the voice Ryan stopped and turned around too. It was Reid. "Hey Reid, what's up?" I asked. He looked at me then at Ryan so I guess he wanted me to introduce him. "So Reid, this is Ryan and Ryan this dork over here is Reid they're our new neighbors. They'll be joining school from Monday. He'll be a senior too." Ryan came forward "Hey man." He greeted and they did this complicated man hug thing. "So Ryan, just so you won't be confused Reid has a twin brother Ethan they both look awfully identical." I informed him. "Thanks, I'll keep that in mind." He said tapping his temple. Ryan nodded at Reid but there was a coldness to him which wasn't there a few minutes ago. "So, I'll be on my way it's getting late." He said and went off.

"That went well. Seems kinda stuck up" Reid mused. I frowned at him. "He's cool and by the way he's helping me in class." I said, just so he won't assume anything like my dad though it's pretty obvious he doesn't think that by the knowing look on his face. "Reid!!" Shrieked Ethan from somewhere in the house. He winced "Oops, gotta go I guess I'm in trouble." He said and laughed. It seemed like he was enjoying being in said trouble. "By the way, I came here to give this gift by my Mom to yours. Bye see you around." I sighed. It's been a long day and I'm spent. Dad said that the mechanic had delivered my car. I hope it won't break down all that often otherwise I'd have to take the bus and I really don't want to ride the bus to school. I went inside the house and kept the gift on the table. It appeared to be some kind of coupon but I can't say for sure.
After completing my homework. I went downstairs to make some hot chocolate. I asked dad if he wanted some, but he declined. Just as I was taking a warm sip, mom came home. She had dark circles underneath her eyes and looked exhausted. I was worried for her. A few weeks ago Mom and Dad used to fight a lot. But suddenly they stopped quarrelling and now seemed almost detached from each other. I'm not sure what changed.
"Hey Mom, how was your day?" I asked her. She startled by my voice and placed a hand over her heart. "Paige, you scared me. And my day had been uneventful." She said and I nodded. "Is it alright if we have Mac and cheese for dinner? You look exhausted I'll make the dinner today. You go change and till then I'll be done." She looked relieved. "Thank you darling, I don't know what I'd do without you." She said. I grinned at her. "I know, I'm the best daughter." I said and she laughed. "Of course you are." She said and left to change.
After eating I went to my room and found some texts on my cell phone one from Ryan and several others from Willow
I checked Ryan's
Ryan: hey, so as tomorrow is a day off would you mind coming to my house early around ten in the morning? and my mother agreed for you to babysit Avery; she's my sister. And my mom will give you the check tomorrow up front. I hope you don't mind coming early on days off. If you do mind, that's okay. I'll manage something.
P.S : my sister can be a handful, so best luck ;)

I watched his text and smiled he's being so thoughtful, I don't understand why.
I start to text him
Paige: It's alright I'll be there at ten tomorrow and I don't mind coming early on holidays
P.S : I like a challenge ;)

Was it too flirty to send a wink at the end of the text I pondered then deleted it and sent the text. Immediately my cell phone pinged with an upcoming message. There were three bubbles floating next to his name then stopped and again reappeared

Ryan: Good night, Paige
P.S : overconfidence looks good on you

I reread the text a hundred times after sending a text saying good night and nothing else. Was he flirting with me? Or am I being paranoid? I'm definitely reading too much in a simple text. I sighed and cursed my brain for overthinking.

That night I slept blissfully. Unaware of the hell that'll break lose the next day.