Chapter 13

Reid was painfully sweet to me these past few days and it was kinda suffocating me. I know I should be swooning right now, but I just can't find it in myself and dad's condition is slowly deteriorating I'm terrified of losing him. Maybe that is what's making me cranky. My paper was due tomorrow and I wasn't in the mood to complete it after coming home from Lola's. I'm sure Mr. Kane will be pissed, but I couldn't find it in myself to care when my whole life was in shambles. Suddenly my phone chimed with a message I took it out thinking it's Reid or perhaps Willow but to my utter shock, it was Ryan.

Ryan: hey, how are you holding up?Mr. Roberts asked me to check if you have any problems with calculus. How is your dad? I hope y'all are doing well.

All my initial hope that he actually might care evaporated. I had half a mind of not replying to him but sod it! I can't not reply to Ryan.

Paige: Hi, I'm well, thank you. I'm holding up alright with calculus but thanks anyways for caring. Dad's condition is worsening but that was expected.

Ryan: I'm sorry.

I didn't reply to his message. What could I say? Life has dealt a shitty hand to me and I have to make do with whatever I have otherwise I'll be miserable my whole life. As for dad I don't know how I will cope after he's gone. I can't even fathom something like that happening.

     Mom came home in the evening and we both decided to visit dad again after eating Mac and cheese for dinner.

        He wasn't eating properly and had difficulty to sit up so all he does is sleep nowadays. When we went to his room the nurse was checking his vitals and gave us a sympathetic smile before leaving.

    "Hey dad, how are you?" I asked
He winced "I'm fine poppet, how was your day? Hope those boys aren't bothering you." He said with a fierce expression and my heart all but broke. Even in this condition he was ready to fight anyone who's a threat to his daughter.

"I love you so much, dad please keep fighting I won't give up on you, please dad" I started sobbing. He gently stroked my head

"I will never leave you poppet, even if I can't make it remember, I'll always watch over you. We'll get through this Paige, I promise you."
I nodded and wiped my wet cheeks.

"Okay, now it's time for you to leave send your momma in. She's not taking it well, is she?" He asked knowingly. I shook my head and he sighed.

"She's always stressing herself. Paige, it's your responsibility now, to make her realize that she doesn't have to bear the burden of every little thing on her shoulders." I had no choice but to agree to help her. How I'll accomplish that was anyone's guess, but I atleast have to try. After bidding goodbye to dad I sent mom inside. I sat on the chair outside dad's room when my cell phone vibrated with an incoming call. I unlocked the screen, it was Reid I picked up and was immediately greeted by his melodic voice
.
"Hey beautiful, how are you doing?" He asked.
The endearment caught me off guard and I was silent for a moment.
"Hello Paige, are you there?" He asked.
"Um oh yeah, I'm here and I'm doing fine, just came to the hospital to visit dad. What about you?"

"Nothing, I had basketball practice this afternoon so just came home and was thinking about you."
I was flattered really, no guy have ever admitted to be thinking about me, like ever. So why wasn't I feeling any kind of butterflies or nervous flutters or that excitement. I guess it's only fictional.

"I have to let you go for now, go eat something, you might be starving after that exhausting practice. I know it can't be easy, especially now that you're new"

"If you must know, I've played a few  basketball matches at state level and won. Every. Single. Match." He enunciated every word.

"Wow that's impressive, but don't let it go to your head. It's a long way to go yet, the match you're gonna play this upcoming week is against Black Panthers, the team of our rival school, Lakewood High and they're very sly and would not shy away from playing dirty on the field, so consider yourself warned, Grover." I said

"We'll see to that Pay Pay, I'm well versed in this game, that's all I'm good at apparently." There was a bitter edge to his voice.

"Is that a bad thing?"

"Not really, but it's a long ass story I'd much rather forget. So, will you come to my game to cheer me on?" He asked hopefully.

"If you want me to" I conceded

"Definitely, so see you tomorrow at school. Good night"

"Yeah, good night" I replied and hung up. As soon as I ended the call, mom came out of dad's ward.
"What did he say?" I asked her.
"Nothing just asked me to take care of myself and live a little. When he's literally dying."
It saddened me, thinking about the future and made me fear what if it gets worse?