Chapter 8

I woke up feeling slightly off I should've known it was a premonition that something bad was going to happen. But I'm not really superstitious.
After brushing my teeth I opened my closet to see what I can wear today. There were no fancy dresses just Jeans a few cut off denim shorts, too many dark hoodies, a sparkly top that my grandma gave me as a birthday present apart from that I had a few sundresses and a sequined one piece. There were bare minimum choices I could make. Nonetheless I wore the usual tank top and grey hoodie over denim shorts. I made an effort with makeup applying mascara on my eyelashes, swiped some lip gloss and applied blush which added color to my pasty skin. I tried to apply eyeliner but all I succeed in doing was stabbing my eye with the thing.
           After giving myself a once over in the mirror I went downstairs to have some breakfast. My mother did a double take which would have been quite funny if I wasn't so nervous. "Going somewhere?" She smiled then casually asked. "Hot date?" I blushed. Having your mom ask you about dates and stuff will definitely make you feel embarrassed. "As a matter of fact, no I'm going at Ryan's house to babysit his sister. They're going to pay me." I said, she hesitated. "Is it the same guy who came around yesterday?" She asked "yeah, did dad tell you about him?" I asked her and she nodded. "Just be careful, such boys have heartbreak written all over them." I rolled my eyes when she wasn't looking at me. "Yeah mom I know, I'm not a kid anymore." I said. "Well, I'm your mother, for me you'll always be a kid. And it's not a bad thing." She said I sighed "okay mom, I'm sure nothing is going to happen between us unless hell freezes over. Please, could you pass the peanut butter?" I asked completely changing the topic. After finishing my breakfast I took the car keys and buckled up the seat belt. I knew Ryan's house it was in the upper high class colony. The area there resembled Beverly Hills, complete with mansions and rodeo drives. I was sorta intimidated to be entering such posh neighborhood but I hardly had a choice in the matter. I haven't seen his house per se but everyone knew this neighborhood because it was at the center of the city. As I approached Ryan's house, my eyes widened. It was easily the largest one among others. When I approached the gate, there was an intercom which buzzed me inside the massive gate. I pulled inside and parked my ratty Corolla next to a brand new Porsche, Maserati and Cadillac. It looked quite ridiculous but who cares. I rang the fancy doorbell next to a huge mahogany front door. It opened and an immaculately dressed elder gentleman appeared. I was in awe. Did Vincents had their very own butler? It was bizarre. These people are loaded. How must it feel to know that you're probably the first ten people in Forbes richest ranking list. I'd never know and actually I'm glad for that, too much money can cause huge troubles too. As soon as I entered the foyer I was shell shocked. My whole house could fit in it. A beautiful and elaborate crystal chandelier was hanging from the roof. I morbidly imagined, what would happen if all of a sudden it fell down? I realized I must be looking like an idiot with my jaw hanging open and a stupid look on my face so I schooled my features so that I'd look indifferent. "Master Ryan is waiting for you in the living room." Said the butler. Master Ryan? I bit my cheek from grinning as I was entering the living room I noticed a stunningly beautiful girl, a few years older than me was practically sitting on Ryan's lap she had ice blue eyes, curves which would give Kim Kardashian a run for her money, blonde curls and obviously she wore designer clothes which left nothing to imagination. She looked like a goddess and he looked like Adonis. They both together, appeared to be made for each other I felt a pang of disappointment in my chest. So, this is the chick Willow was talking about.
           After seeing me hovering round the corner, Ryan nudged the girl aside and stood up. "Hey, you came, I was wondering if you ditched me." He said easily. "Yeah, I need your help not the other way around." I laughed awkwardly I was really hoping the blonde supermodel won't be around when I'm scratching my head and trying to solve the problems, as if reading my mind, Ryan took the girl aside and murmured something in her ear, to which she giggled like an idiot and I felt like throwing up I cannot watch him saying sweet nothings in her ear so I turned away from them and approached the floor to ceiling window. It had a stunning view of a garden with innumerable flowers I kind of wanted to be in the garden right now, anywhere but here. After a few minutes which felt like hours the blonde supermodel went off but not before I saw them swapping spit. Ugh. I'm sure it wasn't intentional. She knew that I wasn't a threat to her. Unconsciously I exhaled in relief and he chuckled. I felt like shaking him and demanding why would he invite her home when he knew I'd be coming around. But maybe it was intentional, maybe he wanted me to know that he was just helping me out of the goodness of his heart. If so he succeeded. The difference between us was so vast that it felt like we were on different planets. It was like a cold slap of reality. I rebuild the walls around myself and calmed down enough to not let the likes of him get to me. Mom was right if I won't be careful this beautiful boy would ruin me.