CHAPTER EIGHT

It was about 2pm. In front of us stood a long straight. Apart from that, everything else was empty. We were practically in the middle of nowhere. No civilisations, no nothing. Just me, Ember, the Haas mechanics and engineers, and the social media crew.

T: Floor it.

The rear wheels of my car started spinning, throwing dust and smoke everywhere. Amid the smoke, my car started accelerating south into the distance. Here, I could go as fast as I wanted. No corners, just a typical American straight with no other cars.

T: Just follow the road and drive. Contact us if you face any issues.

I clicked on the 'confirm' button on my steering wheel before directing my focus to the road in front of me.

Instead of just driving fast, Ember and I decided it would be more fun to play with overtaking. Sort of like the street races in various street racing movies, but this time we were doing them all at around 350km/h. Going this fast required all my concentration, it was really intense, and it left my adrenaline pumping.

T: Whatever you're doing, keep doing it. It looks nice on camera.

M: Copy that.

We continued down the long straight. Occasionally we came across some road cars. I reckon they'd be surprised to see Formula One cars zooming past them. But if they're fans, then this probably would've made their day.

After approximately half an hour of travelling in a straight line at super speeds, we finally reached the end of the straight. In front of us stood a mountain, and with it came twisty roads. Ember and I slowed down and stopped.

M: Twisty road ahead. We need new tyres and fuel.

T: On it, just wait a while, okay?

I pulled off my helmet and balaclava, and unfastened my seat harnesses. I then stood up on my seat and jumped out of my car. Ember did the same thing.

"Twisty roads ain't that American are they?" Ember teased.

"Yeah, I never expected to see this here," I responded, "Though it is nice to know that this exists." She let out a warm chuckle.

There was a silence between us as we took in the scenery beside us. Apart from the mountain, there was nothing there. There was so much space, and it felt free and peaceful. That's the good thing about America, there's so much land, it's amazing.

We eventually sat down on the ground, side by side, in front of our cars after our legs got tired from standing and waiting. Ember rested her head on my right shoulder. I wrapped my right hand over her shoulders, pulling her closer for a cuddle.

"How was the drive?" Ember broke the silence first.

"It was fantastic," I replied, "Different from what we're used to of course."

"I agree," she said, "No wonder Red Bull loves to do this kind of stuff."

I nodded, and rested my head on hers.

Then it was another moment of awkward silence, until Ember decided to break it a few minutes later.

"Uhh, I'm not sure if it's a good time but..." she trailed off. "Nevermind."

"What is it, Emb-" before I could finish my question, Ember pulled me close to her, lips touching.

Oh. My. God. We're kissing.