CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

After three sessions of free practice here at Albert Park, it's time for qualifying. The sun was shining bright, it's a wonderful day, and the track was at the right temperature. I found myself having an excellent pace here.

I eyed Ember in her garage talking to her mechanics.

But she is still a threat, I thought.

Anyways, I got into my car as the mechanics adjusted some stuff on the car and fitted the wheels on. Not long after, it was time for me to take on Q1.

I drove a slow lap around the circuit, and as I exited the final chicane, I floored it. The engine behind me roared louder and louder as I zoomed past the pits and Aussie fans on the grandstands along the main straight.

All in all, it was a decent lap and it propelled me into 5th place by the end of Q1.

Immediately after Q1, I went to my driver room and did some workouts on my own. I wanted to stay as physically fit as possible for this race weekend because I didn't want Ember to beat me.

Pushups, planks, pull-ups, neck exercises, and time flew faster than the championship-winning Red Bull cars.

I got into my car again and set off for Q2.

This time I came out behind Ember. I guess I could use a tow from her. I widened the gap between us but kept close proximity for a slipstream to be possible.

One warm-up lap to get everything going, and from the last corner of Albert Park, it's time to push to the limits.

Everything flashed by as I sped around the track at unbelievable speeds. The only thing that I was focusing on was Ember in front. I watched as the gap between us shortened and widened. I got slipstreams on the straights and avoided dirty air as much as possible on the corners. And as we raced down the start-finish straight to complete the lap, our cars were closer together than they were a lap ago. This meant I was faster than her. Phew.

I looked at the leaderboard and I was in a solid P2 for now. The team called me into the pits to see what would happen. In the end, I scored a P7 for Q2, with Ember right behind me in P8.

I parked my car in my spot and let my mechanics fine-tune it for Q3. In the meantime, I went out across the pitlane and stood by the pitwall to look at all the Aussie fans. Most of them were supporting their Aussie countryman Daniel Ricciardo. Majority of others supported Ferrari. Nonetheless, scattered across the grandstands stood my fans. They supported my dad, and now it's my turn to continue the Schumacher legacy.

A legacy that's threatened by Ember Williams, replacement Haas driver.

How was that possible?

I sighed as I turned back towards the garage for preparation for Q3. It was nice looking at fans, but let's face reality. The fans only really shine when drivers perform well, don't they?

I jumped into my car, all suited up for Q3. The team released me first, before any other car. I went slow for my out lap, taking my time and conserving my tyres as much as possible.

I crossed the line to start my Q3 lap, and in the blink of an eye, I crossed the same line to finish the lap. Of course, I was on provisional pole.

That didn't last long though. As time passed, my time got beaten by more drivers, and quickly I was behind 8 other drivers, Ember included.

The team called me back to the pits to cool my car and work on it to extract potential performance on track. I sat in my driver's seat as I watched the mechanics do their work, and the screens showing the action on track. Mercedes and Red Bull are fighting to get to the top of the timing sheet again. Very typical, but hopefully I could join that fight later on.

Soon enough, Q3 was left with 3 minutes, and the team had to send me out or I would start right in the middle of all the midfield chaos. This time I was the last car being sent out, so I would be crossing the line at the very last second. The pressure is building up, and I would not want to crack under it.

Another out lap, and after that it's time to shine. I sped along the main straight, braked and turned precisely into turn 1 and 2. I got onto the gas early and continued to zoom past everything.

Upshift, upshift, upshift... brake... Spam downshift... Turn... Repeat... I put every ounce of my focus on the road in front of me.

And then I caught a glimpse of Ember's position. A freaking P5. I had to beat that.

I pushed my car harder, into the subsequent corners and straights, utilising the aerodynamics of my car such as DRS to gain a few tenths here and there.

Left hander of turn 15, right hander of turn 16, and get on the throttle early!

My car dashed past the chequered flag, and propelled me onto P5, pushing Ember down to the second spot of the third row.

Could be better, but I'll take it.

I drove my car into parc ferme and lifted myself out of the seat. A decent P5, and now let's see how I will do tomorrow during the race.

Qualifying Results:

Bot, Per, Ver, Ham, Msc, Wil, Nor, Lec, Sai, Ric, Vet, Alo, Gas, Tsu, Oco, Rai, Rus, Str, Gio, Lat

V.C.S. Tqsm. Ily :)