𝕄ythomagic cards hurt

A soft knocking on Nicki's door interrupted her train of thought. The black-haired girl was sitting with her legs crossed on the floor in front of her altar, tidying away her tarot cards as she waited for her candle to flicker out. The door opened without Nicki having to answer.

"Sorry, am I okay to talk?" Nicki glanced over her shoulder at her best friend, Bianca.

Despite being a year her senior, Bianca and Nicki were inseparable. They shared similarities in their hair and in the way they dressed, not that they could control the latter.

Bianca had silky black hair that reached its way down to her waist where it lay in a slightly wavy pile. Nicki had bouncy, wavy black hair that reached her mid-back. She either wore her hair loose, but pulled back off of her face by two strips, fastened behind her head in a fancy twisted half ponytail, or pulled up into a high ponytail, flyaways running wild.

Nicki's dark green eyes forever wore smudged eyeliner underneath them, in a way that captured your gaze into them. No matter how many times Nicki had tried to teach Bianca how to copy her makeup, it would only ever turn out right if Nicki did it herself.

"Yeah, go ahead, Hecate's just leaving so say bye." Bianca waved enthusiastically at the altar, before throwing herself backwards onto Nicki's bed with a groan. "Bad day?"

"You don't know the half of it!" Nicki laughed at the younger girl, who was dramatically throwing her arms in the air, as she forced herself to her feet, brushing off her black pleated school skirt. Nicki's military-style black and red accented school jacket lay discarded beside her chest of drawers, leaving her in a crisp white shirt and a black tie with red accents to match her jacket and skirt.

"It couldn't have been that bad, what did you have today?"

"I had my English exam today, and I swear it was in Latin!"

"Why don't you tell them you can't read English?" Bianca shrugged, watching silently as Nicki folded her clothes and returned them into her chest of drawers neatly. "I got accommodations when I first got here, Bia."

"Thorn is now in charge of that, he wasn't when you arrived! Plus he gives me the creeps."

Nicki let out a loud laugh, flopping onto the bed next to her best friend. She shifted slightly to get comfortable. "I think he gives everyone the creeps." Nicki cleared her throat before mimicking their deputy headmaster. "Goooood evening, ladies."

"This isn't a common room, it is a hallway!" Bianca's attempt at Dr Thorn's weird French accent was less successful than that of her best friend's, not that it affected the girls' laughter.

Bianca calmed down before Nicki, who kept remembering Bianca's horrible accent and laughed harder each time. Bianca's tired and slightly reddened eyes trailed around Nicki's room, a smile tugging at her lips, as it always did at the girl's room.

Nicki's bed was tucked into the corner of her room with her door sat at the foot of her twin bed. Her bed covers were white, with a black mandala design on them, complete with a hundred pillows for her to lay on. Nicki claimed it was because she liked how they felt when she jumped onto her bed, but Bianca knew it was to try to help her nightmares as if the pillows were in place of a person.

Nicki's white walls were covered with fairy lights, band posters and photos, most of which featuring Nicki, Bianca, and her little brother. The posters ranged from Queen, to ACDC, to Guns N' Roses, to Green Day, back to The Beatles.

Nicki had rearranged the furniture in her room so the chest of drawers sat opposite her bed, topped with a million and one notebooks, books, pages, and the occasional water bottle. Finally, in the corner diagonally opposite to the door, facing her bed sat her old bedside locker, now covered in a black candle, a tub of honey, some lavender, wild roses, and leaves. Her tarot cards sat in the little drawer underneath, along with some messily filled notebooks and a very old book she never let Bianca open.