𝔹lowfish

Percy was just getting ready to blow out the candles when the doorbell rang. 

His mom frowned. "Who could that be?"

Nicki sighed, resting her head on Percy's shoulder like it was the most natural thing in the world. "I'm never going to get this cake, am I?"

Percy made an incoherent noise in reply. Paul couldn't stop himself from snorting at how scarlet his future stepson had become. Sally slapped Paul's arm lightly, her eyes glittering. "I believe that was Percy's attempt at saying no."

Nicki threw her hands up in exasperation. Sally winked at the girl, whose cheeks tinted the tiniest amount as she became very aware of where her head was resting.

Percy's mom opened the door and gasped. It was Percy's dad. 

He was wearing Bermuda shorts and a Hawaiian shirt and Birkenstocks like he usually does. His black beard was neatly trimmed and his sea-green eyes twinkled. He wore a battered cap decorated with fishing lures. It said NEPTUNE'S LUCKY FISHING HAT. 

"Pos—" Sally stopped herself. She was blushing right to the roots of her hair. "Um, hello." 

"Hello, Sally," Poseidon said. "You look as beautiful as ever. May I come in?" 

Sally made a squeaking sound that might've been either a "Yes" or "Help." 

"I believe that was Sally's attempt at saying yes," Nicki called from her position on the couch. Proud at her own wit, Nicki didn't care for Sally's half-hearted glare of embarrassment at the girl.

Poseidon took Nicki's invitation as a yes and came in. Paul was looking back and forth between everyone, trying to read their expressions. 

Finally, he stepped forward. "Hi, I'm Paul Blofis." 

Poseidon raised his eyebrows as they shook hands. "Blowfish, did you say?" 

"Ah, no. Blofis, actually." 

"Oh, I see," Poseidon said. "A shame. I quite like blowfish. I am Poseidon." Nicki bit down on her lip to stop herself from laughing at the two men. Percy had to wedge his index finger's knuckle between his teeth to stifle his giggling.

"Poseidon? That's an interesting name." 

"Yes, I like it. I've gone by other names, but I do prefer Poseidon." 

"Like the god of the sea." 

"Very much like that, yes." This was too much for poor Nicki. With a loud snort, Nicki buried her head into Percy's shoulder. Muffled giggles from the girl beside him set Percy off. The pair were nearly in tears at each other. 

"Well!" Sally interrupted. "Um, we're so glad you could drop by. Paul, this is Percy's father." 

"Ah." Paul nodded, though he didn't look real pleased. "I see." 

Poseidon smiled at the two demigods on the couch. "There you are, my boy. Nicki, it is always a pleasure. And Tyson, hello, son!" 

"Daddy!" 

Tyson bounded across the room and gave Poseidon a big hug, which almost knocked off his fishing hat. Paul's jaw dropped. He stared at Percy's mom. "Tyson is..." 

"Not mine," she promised. "It's a long story." 

"I couldn't miss Percy's fifteenth birthday," Poseidon said. "Why, if this were Sparta, Percy would be a man today!" Nicki snorted. Flushing red, she smiled apologetically at Poseidon. The god just shook his head in good humour.