𝕄ama returns

The door creaking open again caused Connor to look up. He was stretched across the chair next to Nicki, with his feet up by her head.

He flicked the girl's ankle softly. "Your mother is here."

Nicki peeled an eye open. The spiky black hair and silver circlet like a princess's tiara made Nicki's face light up.

"Hey, Sparky."

Thalia scoffed, pointing accusingly at the girl. "Don't you 'hey, Sparky' me. You have no arms!"

"Technically she has arms, they just don't work. Seeing as one is paralysed and the other is dying." Connor leant on his elbow with a soft smirk. "Good to see you again."

"The same can't be said for you. What part of 'keep her out of trouble' did you lot miss?"

"Hang on, how many people did you tell to watch out for me?"

"All of them! Clearly, I needed more!" Thalia slapped Nicki's side lightly. "You are a trouble magnet, Ash."

Nicki flashed the girl a tired smile. "One of my finer qualities, darling."

"Is that what you call it?" The witch nodded. "Right... anyway,  Kronos's forces are still gathering at every bridge and tunnel. And Kronos isn't the only Titan. One of my Hunters spotted a huge man in golden armour mustering an army on the Jersey shore. I'm not sure who he is, but he radiates power like only a Titan or god, just like you said."

"Great," Nicki sighed.  "Any good news?"

Thalia shrugged. "We've sealed off the subway tunnels into Manhattan. My best trappers took care of it. Also, it seems like the enemy is waiting for tonight to attack. I think Luke"—she caught herself—"I mean Kronos needs time to regenerate after each fight. He's still not comfortable with his new form. It's taking a lot of his power to slow time around the city."

Connor let out a forced breath. "Wake me when it's over."

"Let me join you," Thalia muttered.

With a quick ruffle of Nicki's hair, she disappeared back inside the hotel. Nicki let her eyes flutter shut again. "Hey, Con?" She received a hum in reply. "Imma take a nap..."

In her dream, Nicki saw Nico di Angelo alone in the gardens of Hades. He'd just dug a hole in one of Persephone's flower beds, which she didn't figure would make the queen very happy.

He poured a goblet of wine into the hole and began to chant. "Let the dead taste again. Let them rise and take this offering. Maria di Angelo, show yourself!"

White smoke gathered. A human figure formed, but it wasn't Nico's mother. It was a girl with dark hair, olive skin, and the silvery clothes of a Hunter.

"Bianca," Nico said. "But—"

"Don't summon our mother, Nico," she warned. "She is the one spirit you are forbidden to see."

"Why?" he demanded. "What's our father hiding?"

"Pain," Bianca said. "Hatred. A curse that stretches back to the Great Prophecy."

"What do you mean?" Nico said. "I have to know!"

"The knowledge will only hurt you. Remember what I said: holding grudges is a fatal flaw for children of Hades."

"I know that," Nico said. "But I'm not the same as I used to be, Bianca. Stop trying to protect me!"

"Brother, you don't understand—"

Nico swiped his hand through the mist, and Bianca's image dissipated.

"Harsh," Nicki muttered, leaning against a tree.