𝕋he end of a beginning

Nicki lay on the floor of the empty throne room in silence. She curled herself into a foetal position and wrapped her arms around her stomach. 

She found herself at the foot of Apollo's massive golden throne. It was decorated with two laurel wreaths on the back, with a shining sun above. It was occupied by a wolfskin cushion for Apollo to sit on.

In the courtyards, muffled music and shouts indicated to Nicki that the party was still in full swing. Her head pounded painfully and she screwed her eyes shut.

"Nix?" Nicki peeled her eyes open at her name. The air in front of her shimmered as Nicki's vision focused on George's face.

Her vision instantly blurred with tears. "Dad." She breathed, forcing herself into a seated position. "You have no idea how glad I am to see you right now." 

George smiled at his daughter. "You look exhausted, what happened? Your mother just visited me and told your grandmother to call you!" Marilyn stuck her head into the Iris Message, waving enthusiastically at her granddaughter.

"Nana!" Nicki bit her lip to stop herself from crying. "I've just had the worst few days of my life. First, we got attacked at the Smithsonian by a lion, then we got attacked by skeletons in New Mexico, then we got attacked by a boar, then Aphrodite came with Ares to sike us out."

Nicki took a deep breath. "Then we got attacked by a big giant metal man, then Bianca died. Then we got attacked by skeletons again at Hoover Dam. Then these angel statues flew us to San Fran. Then Percy attacked an old man, then we got attacked again by Dr Thorn and the skeletons. Then we got attacked by a dragon! Then we got attacked by the bad guys and Atlas!"

"Then I held up the sky with Percy. Then Zoë died! Then we had to attend the Council of the Gods. Then I met Hermes, then Percy danced with Annabeth and I just wanna go home."

George blinked twice. "That was a lot of information at once."

"Darling, we'll come and get you. We'll be in Long Island by lunchtime, okay?" Marilyn's brows were knitted together. "Who's that?"

Nicki whipped around. Percy stood awkwardly behind her. He waved uncomfortably. "Um, Chiron sent Argus to collect us. Thalia left a bit ago, she tried to find you but you were off with Hermes..."

"Oh. Right. Yeah, I'll just..." Nicki jerked her thumb at the faces of her father and grandmother.

"Oh, hi Mr Driscoll, hi uh... Mrs Driscoll?" Percy waved again, smiling at Marilyn and George. "I'm Percy."

George waved back awkwardly. He wasn't aware of why Nicki was so on edge with Percy, but he could feel his daughters heartbreak from Salem. "Hi Percy, how's the shoulders?"

"George!"

"What? I'm just trying to make conversation, Mom."

Nicki tore her dull purple eyes away from Percy's sea-green eyes. "I'll see you in a couple hours. Love you."

The pair chorused their farewells before Marlyn waved her hand across the mist. Nicki sighed as their image disappeared.

"They seem nice." Nicki hummed in reply but made no effort to continue the conversation. She squeezed past Percy, avoiding his gaze.

Compared to Mount Olympus, Manhattan was quiet. Friday before Christmas, but itwas early in the morning, and hardly anyone was on Fifth Avenue. Argus, the many-eyed security chief, picked up the demigods at the Empire State Building and ferried them back to camp through a light snowstorm. The Long Island Expressway was almost deserted.

As they trudged back up Half-Blood Hill to the pine tree where the Golden Fleece glittered, Nicki half expected to see Thalia there, waiting for her. But she wasn't. She was long gone with Artemis and the rest of the Hunters, off on their next adventure.