4

Chapter 4

After Hudson locked up, she spent the next hour concentrating on the final touches of her painting. She was so engrossed in her work, that when her cell rang from the table next to her, it gave her a start.

"Jacob! I'm so glad you called! How's Michigan?" She cradled the phone to her ear and plopped onto the couch.

"Mundane. Quiet. Not a skyscraper or colorful mural in sight." She could hear the smile in his voice. "How's Chi-Town?"

Hudson thought for a moment. "Extraordinary. Loud. Skyscrapers and colorful murals abound."

Jacob laughed. They'd only been friends for a short while, but he'd become a consistent fixture in her life. In Annie's life, too. The Three Musketeers, they were. Attractive, charming, and full of fun, Jacob Nabrowski was someone she knew she could rely on.

"So, what's going on? You and Annie behaving?"

She rolled her eyes. "Well I am, but you know Annie. She's a total delinquent."

"Uh oh. I don't think I want to know."

Hudson swallowed her confession. The last thing she wanted to do was cause Jacob any worry, not when he was so far away visiting his mom. Her recent activities would have to stay under wraps. At least until he was back from vacation. "I'm just messing around. Everything's going nice and smooth. Like clockwork. No trouble here." She made a quick change of subject. "So, how's your mom?"

"You know, the same. Nothing much changes around here. Except she's dating some new guy." Her friend released a dramatic sigh. "I haven't met him yet. Seems to be keeping his distance."

Hudson snorted. "With an overprotective son like you, I can't say I blame him."

"Yeah, I get the feeling Ma might have something to do with that. Not in the mood for the inquisition I've given boyfriends in the past, I guess."

"Oh, my God. You sound like her father!"

"Well, if she'd stop acting like a horny teenager I wouldn't have to be this way. But ever since the divorce it's like she's got something to prove." Jacob groaned. "Fuck, this is not something I want to think about!"

Hudson stifled a laugh. "Okay. Well, then on that note, I guess I do have some news." She took a deep breath. "I finally finished my painting."

"The one with the lilies? That's great! Take a pic and send it to me, okay? You've been working so hard. I can't wait to see it."

"Sure thing." Hudson eyed the gun still sitting on the table and a wave of shivers raced up her arms. Time to turn off the air conditioning and let in the fresh air. Rising from the couch, she flipped off the wall unit and opened the window. A breeze rolled in and ruffled the tendrils of hair around her face. She yawned. "Jacob, I hate to cut you short, but I just pulled an all-nighter and I've been painting ever since I woke up this morning. I'm exhausted."

"But it's only ten o'clock! Twenty-three going on eighty-three." He chuckled. "At least I know you're staying out of trouble."

"Gee, thanks." She didn't need him to remind her of her less-than-active social life. "I'll send you a pic if you promise to call again soon."

"I promise. Sleep well, my friend."

Hudson smiled. "You, too."

She rolled off the couch and began the mundane task of cleaning up her supplies. By the time she'd rinsed off her brushes and packed away her paints, it was almost eleven. Time for bed. Her gaze flashed across the black metal on the table.

The gun.

Should she take it with her or shouldn't she? It was probably a smart idea to bring it along, especially since Annie had gone through the trouble of acquiring one. She hadn't asked where it came from and had no intention of finding out. The less she knew about its origins, the better. And on the off-chance she would need it, it'd do no good being so far out of reach.

With heavy-lidded eyes, Hudson cradled the weapon in her grasp. She turned off the halogen lamp, blinking out the cone of light, and dragged herself to her room. Her gaze traveled over her belongings, searching for a suitable place to store her new possession. Best to have it close by, just in case. That's what it was for, right? She slid the weapon underneath a stack of panties in her bedside table, tugged on her pajamas, and slipped under the covers. Her mind raced, knowing it was right there, next to her. So close she could practically smell the tang of gun powder. Finally, her eyelids grew heavier until they closed.

A creaking floorboard in the living room caught her attention. It was soft, barely there, but she'd definitely heard something. Assuming the noise was from some fast-approaching dream, she rolled over and snuggled into her pillow. When it creaked again, she was wide awake. Jolting upright, she held her breath, too many thoughts crowding her brain.

She'd closed the window, hadn't she? What about the door? Had she locked it after Annie left? She'd meant to, but now she wasn't so sure.

The dark of her room took on an ominous feel and Hudson could barely make out the door through the black. The sound came again ... closer this time. Squinting her eyes, she tried to make sense of the shadows casting themselves across the ceiling and walls. Black on black. Long, short, round, thin. Where were they all coming from? Had they been there before? Her stomach twisted with unease.

Silently, she flung her legs off the side of the bed and stood, listening.

Darkness swallowed her. She took a step forward, arms out-stretched and shaking, trying to feel her way around. Where were the familiar rays of moonlight that normally slanted through the window? The slivers of silver illuminating the beige. Where were the intrusive beams from the constant flow of traffic below?

Another board creaked. Someone was definitely there; inside her apartment. If she could make it to the bedroom door, she could lock herself inside. And then what? Had she grabbed her phone before she came to bed? Did she even have a way to call for help? Hudson's heart raced as she took another step forward.

Blackness thickened before her and a shimmer of sweat wrapped around her skin. She sucked in a breath and stilled. He was there. She could feel it. Inside her bedroom.

"My perfect, little angel." A deep, male voice echoed around the walls. Not so much a question as a statement. He was close. Too close. There'd be no escaping now.

The stench of his breath wafted in the small space between them. Bile burned in the back of her throat. Could he see her? Did he know she was there?

Of course, he did. He knew. That's why he'd come. Her pulse thumped in her ears.

"You've been called to serve under The Shepherd," he murmured in the dark. "And I am The Shepherd. You're meant to follow me."

A sudden flash of fear disabled her brain. Hudson stood, paralyzed.

"A woman must learn with all submissiveness," he whispered, his breaths increasingly ragged.

This was really happening. Hudson took a step back, her bare feet inching toward the bedside table. She tried to swallow, but terror dried her throat. His words were detached and unhurried, yet she detected the faint undertone of something more. Something familiar. Had she heard them before? Were they Scripture? It'd been so long since she had been to church, she wasn't even sure if she believed in God anymore. If there was such a thing, how could He have allowed her to suffer through such unimaginable heartaches?

A thin beam of moonlight sliced through the room, illuminating the purposeful glint in the man's gaze. As quickly as it appeared, it slipped away, leaving her once again in darkness.

Her eyes darted back and forth, trying to detect his location. Had he used that small fragment of opportunity to throw her off? "Sir, I think you've made a terrible mistake," she stammered, hoping to reorient him. "If you leave now, I promise not to call the police."

"You're God's special gift to the world. You know that, don't you? My sweet, little Hudson."

He knew her name. But how?

His fist wheeled out of nowhere, smashing into the side of her head. Hudson flew back, the tang of metallic filling her mouth.