9

Chapter 9

Sunlight spilled through the branches of the elm trees lining the busy street, a swish of wind making the serrated leaves dance overhead. Hudson sucked in a breath, enjoying the smell of the breeze and lake. Her hands fluttered over her dress as she stepped around a squirrel scurrying across the walkway in front of them. 

She glanced sideways at Myles. "So, how long have you been a cop?" He stood nearly a foot taller than her and she had to squint through the sun to see his face.

Myles stood close, his arm occasionally brushing against hers. He was possibly the most attractive man she'd ever seen, and the sight of him now made her insides mushy. The sun did amazing things to his hair, bringing out golden hues she hadn't noticed before. And his eyes. His eyes reminded her of the robin eggs she'd once found in a bird's nest, during a camping trip with her family as a child. A light blueish-green she couldn't help but get lost in. She watched as Myles' lips moved, but had no idea what he'd just said.

"I'm sorry." She giggled softly. "I missed that last part."

Myles looked down and smiled. "I graduated from the academy sixteen weeks ago today."

A wide grin spread across her face. "It's your anniversary!"

Myles's eyebrows crinkled in confusion.

"Sixteen weeks ago today," she explained. "It's your four month anniversary on the force."

He tilted his head, the slightest hint of a dimple appearing in his left cheek. "I guess you're right. Today is my anniversary. So, what about you? How long have you been a painter?"

Hudson reached up and tugged a low-lying leaf from a tree. "Oh, I've been painting my whole life." She studied the jagged green edges before letting it quiver to the ground. "But professionally, not very long. My work's going to be featured for the first time in an art show coming up." She looked at him, her mouth tugging at the corner. "I'm pretty nervous."

"Really? I'm impressed. It takes a brave person to put themselves out there like that."  Myles ran his tongue over his bottom lip before catching it between his teeth. He let it loose. "Do you paint with oil colors or water colors?"

Hudson raised one eyebrow. "You're familiar with painting?"

He chuckled. "Not really. That's about the most intelligent question I can ask."

A gust of wind tossed the hair around her face. Hudson readjusted the strands above her eye. "I use water colors mostly. That's what my mom used to paint with, so it just seemed like the obvious choice. My younger brother was sensitive to the fumes of oil paint, so I wasn't really exposed to them very much growing up. But I prefer water colors anyway. They have a stunning clarity you won't find with oils." She laughed. "And I can't lie ... they're way easier to clean up."

"I noticed the painting in your apartment last night," he said. "The one with the white lilies. It's beautiful."

Heat swamped her cheeks. Her eyes dropped to the sidewalk. "Thank you."

Myles let out a soft exhale. "Humble and talented? Those are attractive traits."

The heat wave made its way down her back. If she didn't know any better, she would almost swear Officer Myles Young was flirting with her. Where was Annie when she needed her? Her friend always knew exactly what to do; how to respond confidently in new situations. She always had, even as a child. Hudson couldn't remember the last time she'd been this attracted to a man. She'd barely dated in college, and high school ... forget about it. She hadn't been nicknamed "Wallflower" for nothing. It wouldn't have been an exaggeration to say she'd only muttered a handful of words before graduation. But it's not like she didn't have enough going on. She spent her days in school and her nights studying or painting. That is, when she didn't have appointments scheduled with her therapist.