22

Chapter 22

At a quarter past five, Myles parked his SUV in front of Hudson's apartment and gave his reflection one last glance in the rear view mirror. He'd never been to an art show before and wasn't sure how formal it'd be. He finally decided on wearing a pressed pair of khakis and a white, button-up shirt, his hair arranged into a careful dishevel some of the women at the police station swooned over.

Cars zipped past him down the busy street and he had to wait before he could step out of his vehicle. The sun burned bright and the air muggy as he made his way up to the building. His stomach swirled unexpectedly when he caught sight of Hudson waiting for him outside the door. She looked amazing; sweet, innocent, and sexy all rolled into one. The perfect combination. The pale yellow dress and matching cardigan she wore complimented her pale skin, and her dark blonde hair fell in tousled waves around her shoulders.

It dawned on him just then how happy he was to see her, and how much he'd hated being away. "Hey there," he said, leaning in and giving her a quick peck on the cheek. "You look incredible." Just as he expected, Hudson's cheeks turned a deeper shade of pink.

"Thank you. You look great too, Myles. Business casual suits you. But then, so does your police uniform" she said, her eyes roaming over his outfit. She caught her bottom lip between her teeth and smiled. "I'm happy you decided to come with me. I can't wait to show you the exhibit. There are some amazing pieces. I think you'll be impressed."

He couldn't hide his surprise. "You're not the only artist in the show?"

Hudson's eyes grew wider at his question. "Oh no. There are half a dozen displaying their artwork. I'm extremely lucky to have be chosen. It's a high honor. Maybe I'll finally be able to make money doing something I love."

"Well, I can't wait to see more of your work." A gust of wind blew in the space between them. Myles reached forward and tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear. "Do you have to pay the gallery to show your paintings?"

She shook her head and wrapped an arm around the crook of his elbow, giving him a gentle tug onto the sidewalk. "That's not how it works. When an artist is asked to exhibit their work, the gallery owner and the artist enter into a business partnership. The gallery provides the artist with a place to show their paintings and the artist provides the gallery with paintings that will bring people in. They're each helping the other out."

Beads of sweat dotted his eyebrows. Myles glanced back at his SUV. "Don't you want to drive? It's pretty muggy out. I could chauffeur you there in the comfort of air conditioning," he suggested as temptingly as he could.

Hudson let out a little laugh and looked up at the brilliant blue sky. "No thanks. I've been cooped up all day. I'd love to stretch my legs for a bit. Besides," she added with a mischievous twinkle in her eyes, "I love the lake breeze. It makes me happy."

He studied her profile as they made their way down the sidewalk, admiring the pleasing structure of her face. She did look happy, very happy, in fact. Her enthusiasm was palpable. He only hoped his presence had something to do with that. "Will you have to talk to the people coming in? Answer questions, try to entice them to buy? Like a salesperson?"

With her gaze fixed in front of them, Hudson shook her head, her hair cascading around her face. "It's not open to the public yet. Tonight is by invitation only, which means it's for the artists and their families." She looked up at him, her green eyes glowing with excitement. "I'm glad I get to share this with you. I didn't want to come alone."

"I'm happy to be here. I'm really looking forward to it. But wouldn't Annie have come with you?"

She shrugged. "I suppose, but it wouldn't have been the same. Sometimes, Annie can be a little ... self-absorbed. Like, she's with me but not really. Unless it's about her, of course. Then she's borderline obnoxious." Hudson chuckled, but it sounded more forced than anything else. "She means well. Most of the time. It's just—it'll be nice to have someone focus on me for a change. I'm pretty nervous."

Myles dropped his arm and reached for her hand, the warmth of her skin causing his heart to beat just a bit faster. "You've got my full attention. I promise."

Hudson looked up at him with a wide smile. "I know."

Hudson couldn't believe her excitement, it hadn't caught up with her until now

Hudson couldn't believe her excitement, it hadn't caught up with her until now. She was officially lightheaded. Not only to be a part of her very first art exhibit, but having Myles by her side made the experience that much sweeter. He looked so handsome walking next to her, his fingers tangled between hers. Throughout their walk, she stole glances at him every chance she got. Judging by his expression, he seemed content, too. The idea made her smile.

"We're here," she said, sounding no where near as nervous as she felt.

His gaze traveled over the small building before finding hers. "Are you ready for this?"

"As ready as I'm going to be."

They slipped through double doors and into an entryway. The walls were decorated with expensive-looking stone, natural and earthy in appearance. Two dozen people made their way throughout the lavishly furnished, one-story building, taking their time as they inspected each piece of art. Six different collections sat separately, everything from Photo-realism to Pop Culture Art. Hudson gripped Myles' hand a little tighter as she steered him toward a grouping in the back. Excitement tinged the air, hungry artists ready and willing to share their work with the world. The energetic mood only intensified hers. This right here was the ultimate high. And there was no way she would let anyone or anything ruin it. Not the break-ins, not Nick Lockhart. Not even Annie.

Hudson sucked in a breath. "I can't believe it," she whispered, taking it all in. She stared at the scene before her in complete awe, thoughts of everything else deserting her. This was the first time she'd seen her paintings on display together, with the interior of the gallery alive in the background. It left her speechless.

"Are these yours?" Myles finally asked, his voice breaking through her stupor. "They're breathtaking."

She nodded, but couldn't bring herself to turn away. Stepping forward, she brought her fingers to an easel, slowly trailing them along the wooden stand that held one of her paintings in place. Autumn trees hanging over Lake Michigan, oranges and purples swirling in the sky around a setting sun. Memories of the hours she'd put in getting the colors just right flooded through her. Without warning, her eyes filled with tears.

"Hudson," she heard Myles say next to her. His hand found the small of her back. Very gently, he caressed it. "Are you all right?"

She blinked and turned to him. His question caught her off guard and she let out a soft giggle. "I'm perfect."

"Yes," Myles said, his expression growing serious. "You are."

For a moment, she wasn't sure what to make of his comment, but then everything became clear. Her fingers tapped twice against the side of her leg. She reached up, wrapping her arms around his neck, and tilted her head until their gazes connected. "So, what's next?"

"What do you mean?" Confusion lit up his eyes as he searched her face for an answer. "We just got here."

Hudson's breath quickened, her body aching to be touched. Her lips parted slightly. "But I had so much more in mind than just this."