12

Chapter 12 

"Reine! Shoot me another one of these." Annie held up the empty glass for the bartender before slamming it onto the granite top. Three shots down. And after last night, she was just getting started. Music blared from the hidden speakers around the perimeter of the club. She closed her eyes and began to sway to the beat, losing herself to the smoky rhythm.

"Don't you think you should slow down? You're up next, you know."

Annie opened her eyes and turned to the deep, irritated voice. Davis stood next to her, a scowl taking up most of his face.

"You know Stella hates it when her girls get shit-faced. She doesn't want you to be sloppy up there," he said, nodding toward the stage.

"Don't you worry, Big D. I know what I'm doin'."

Dozens of men cat-called around them and Annie followed their cheers. Mingxia, the most beautiful of all Stella's dancers, in Annie's humble opinion, dominated the audience. Her sultry floor routine had the men begging for more. Reine appeared behind the bar and filled Annie's glass half-full with amber-colored liquid. Davis' scowl deepened. The young bartender shrugged it off and walked away.

Annie brought the glass to her mouth and downed the entire shot in one gulp. The whiskey slid over her tongue and pooled pleasantly in the pit of her stomach. A wide grin spread over her face as her eyes roamed appreciatively over the center of Davis' pants. "So, I guess I know now why they call you Big D ... Big D." Annie giggled then ran her tongue over her bottom lip. "The other night was fun, huh?"

"Anastasia, what the hell're you doin'? You can't go up there as drunk as you are. Stella will fire your ass."

"I'm not drunk."

"The hell you're not. Reine, would you get this girl some water?" he called out to the bartender. "And stop feeding her shots. You should know better."

The girl behind the bar rolled her eyes and tossed pink-streaked blonde hair over a tattooed shoulder. She filled a beer glass with ice water then slid it across the counter.

"Here, drink this." Davis thrust the glass into Annie's hand, the water spilling over the edge. "And you're welcome."

"Gee, thanks." Annie switched the drink to her other hand and wiped her wet wrist across the front of his shirt. "You're such a killjoy, you know that?"

"What the fuck's the matter with you?"

She took a sip of the water and avoided his gaze. "Nothin's the matter with me. What the fuck's the matter with you?"

"Just drink your damn water." Davis growled, then stomped off.

"Guess that means you don't want another blow job," she called after him. Davis waved his hand over his head but didn't turn around.

Annie took another swallow. She hated to admit it, but the water felt good as it moved down her throat. Maybe Davis was right? Maybe she was a little drunk? But after the night she'd had with Hudson, who could blame her? Stella would be pissed if she didn't sober up, and fast. She swallowed down the rest of the water, then leaned over the bar to pour herself another glass.

Settling onto a stool, she watched the rest of Mingxia's show. The dancer was stunning in a uniquely exotic way. Waist-length, black hair and a long, svelte body. And the audience ate up her slow, sensuous gyrations. The music was hypnotic and Annie felt her breathing kick up as she studied Mingxia's movements. The girl was on fire, and she knew it. Annie understood the feeling. Nothing felt as good as controlling men from the stage. Every time Annie danced, it felt like they were all at her mercy. Every last one of them. And it felt damn good.