19

Chapter 19

Frank paced back and forth in front of the painting, his hand rubbing over his jaw, while two uniformed officers inspected the open window. A wave of déjà vue washed over Myles. He leaned into the couch, the long trail of scratches stretching across his back stinging underneath his shirt. His thigh rested against Hudson's and he could feel her quivering through the thick fabric of his jeans. Sliding his arm around her shoulders, he pulled her to him.

Once again the intruder had gained access, mostly likely through the window that had been left open. But he wouldn't bring that up now. Hudson must be aware of her mistake, no need to make her feel even worse. Still, how that guy could scale the first floor of the building left a sour taste in his mouth. It didn't seem possible. The creepiness of it all clawed at his stomach.

Nick Lockhart.

The name sat like poison on his tongue. But Frank said it meant nothing. Just because Hudson may have seen him on the street, even given their checkered past, didn't give them the right to throw around accusations. The only fingerprints that had shown up so far were Hudson's, and that obviously proved nothing.

Hudson nuzzled closer, pushing her head into his shoulder. He couldn't leave her now. He wouldn't. Not until Annie came home, whenever that might be. It was getting late and he was growing tired, but he knew sleep would likely evade him. With the wild thoughts racing through his mind, he'd be lucky to close his eyes at all. She rocked back and forth against him, the whisper of a melody on her lips. He strained to hear the hum but was unable to make sense of it past the blood thumping in his head.

His gaze drifted back to the painting, now ruined by angry splashes of red. It had meant a lot to her, that painting. It symbolized the life she'd had before everything fell apart. The life Hudson shared with her family. Now, the memento was gone, just like them. One more unhappy memory she'd be forced to lock away. His fingers brushed through her hair, the dark blonde waves fanning out against his navy shirt. 

Why "dirty whore"? Why would that psycho call her that? He'd been the one making unwanted advances, not her.

"What is it about me?" Hudson finally whispered, interrupting his thoughts. Her words sounded muffled against his chest. "Am I not allowed to be happy? What did I ever do to deserve this?"

His heart clenched and he tightened his grip. "Shhh, this isn't your fault. You didn't do anything wrong."

"It's because I didn't die in that car accident." Hudson sat up straight, brushing the tears from her cheeks. "I was supposed to. I was meant to die along with them, but somehow I didn't. Somehow, I survived. I'm living on borrowed time and this is what it will be like for me until I'm dead. Just a maze of ugly obstacles trying to break me down. Trying to weaken me until I fall apart. I'm ready to crack. I'm ready to —"

Myles shook his head. "Stop. Don't say that. I can't bear to hear you talk that way."

"But it's true." Hudson sucked in a jagged breath, her chest heaving from the effort. "My entire life has been one big booby trap."

He brushed his thumb across her cheek. "I'm going to keep you safe. I promise."

Frank threw him a look. His partner didn't like it when he made promises he didn't know if he could keep, but no way would he break this one. He couldn't. He'd die making sure he didn't.

"What if you can't?" Hudson asked, her eyes wide with fear.

"I will." His gaze traveled over the apartment, trying to think of some way to convince her. "I'm going to stay here tonight. And every night I'm not working."

Hudson's face lit up. "You will?"

Myles nodded, his palm sliding against the purple cushion. "Yep. I'll sleep right here on the couch. As long as that's all right with you." He gave her a smile, hoping she didn't think he was after more than just protection. Even if she had already made advances toward him.

A sudden uncertainty crossed her face. "Are you sure? You don't have to."

Her desperation tugged at his heart. He knew he didn't have to, but he wanted to. He wanted to take care of her. And no matter what Frank said, he planned to dig up dirt on that professor. Hudson running into him was no coincidence, he could feel it in his bones. The incidents were connected. Now he just needed to prove it. 

He could check to see if the guy had any prior convictions, any run-ins with the law. See if there'd been any complaints filed against him. And with all the weird religious references, try to figure out if he was a member of any local congregation. With any luck, he'd be reading this asshole his Miranda Rights very soon and hauling him away in handcuffs, leaving Hudson free to live her life without fear. And even though he wanted to smash this guy's face in, he wouldn't. He was better than that. He'd make Frank proud. He wouldn't let his emotions override what he needed to do. He would prove he could take care of Hudson while keeping a straight head.

Hudson pulled her phone from her pocket. "I'd better text Annie. Let her know she can sleep in her own apartment tonight." Her thumbs flicked over the screen, bopping up and down as she pressed the letters. After she'd finished, she dropped the cell back into her pocket. "I didn't tell her what happened. I don't want to worry her. Please don't mention it should you two cross paths."

Myles shook his head. "I won't."

"Hudson," Frank said, standing in front of them. Myles hadn't even noticed him approach. "I'm afraid they're going to have to take your painting with them. I'm sorry. I know you had plans to add it into the art show."

"It's okay. I understand." She gave him a shaky smile. "It's not like I can use it now anyway." Tears filled her eyes once more, but she held them in.

"They'll have to take your supplies, too. It's all evidence now, I'm afraid. The window must have been the point of entry again. There were no other signs of forced access." A look flashed in Frank's eyes. Was it an accusation? Was he blaming Hudson for what happened? For leaving the window unlocked?

Hudson's cheeks reddened. "It's my fault. I should have locked it." She looked at Myles, regret glistening in her eyes. "I'm so sorry. I'm responsible. If I had listened to you this never would have happened."

Myles shook his head. "This isn't your fault. He's not blaming you." He turned to his partner. "Right, Frank? You're not blaming her."

Frank lifted his chin. "I'm not blaming her. Hudson didn't ask for this. And it's not a crime to leave your windows open. But given the circumstances," he added, turning back to her, "you need to be extra careful."

"I will, Frank." Hudson nodded. "I promise. No more stupid mistakes."

He smiled. "Good. We'll get out of your way then." He gave Myles a pointed look. "You comin'?"

Myles shook his head. "Nope. I'm staying here tonight. On the couch," he added, trying to lessen the blow. "Her neighbor won't be back until late and I'm not leaving her alone."

Frank's lips spread into a thin line across his face. "All right then. Guess I'll see you tomorrow."

Myles stood up and walked the men into the hall. Frank paused as the two officers continued down the stairs. "Look," he said, once they were out of earshot. "I like Hudson. I do. She's a sweet girl. But I still don't think it's a good idea for you to get involved."

Myles leaned into the door. "I appreciate your concern, but I have to do what I feel is right. Hudson needs me, and I'm not going to turn my back on her." The unsettling feeling of déjà vue rolled over him once again. This was the second time they'd had this same conversation outside of this very apartment.

Frank shook his head and released a loud sigh. "Rookies." And with that, he walked away.