CH 19: BIRTHDAY GIRL

The only thing worse than not being at a concert? Spending said evening on the floor of my apartment with Aiden Steele and reading through some legal mumbo jumbo

The only thing worse than not being at a concert? Spending said evening on the floor of my apartment with Aiden Steele and reading through some legal mumbo jumbo. I tried really hard not to let this get to me, but... I was supposed to be at a concert.

"Thea, this is the third time you've gone over the same sentence, where is your attention?" Aiden sighed, rubbing his face.

In Cleveland, Ohio.

I took a deep breath before trying to focus again, but it was so damn hard. My mind kept wandering off to the feeling of standing in the crowds, screaming at the top of my lungs and coming home with a sore throat. It would all be so worth it.

"I think I need more coffee." I rubbed my temples, getting up and going to the kitchen to brew a new cup. With the exhaustion of the week, no-month catching up on me, getting myself to focus on simple tasks was terribly hard, and on more than one occasion, the idea of hurling myself down some stairs had started holding some merit.

Our meeting at Tomatina had prompted some trips necessary to Europe, and some new contracts that Aiden wanted to negotiate with our existing partners in Germany, France and Ireland. It was going to be a ten-day endeavour, and the travelling party included Aiden, Jason, Jade, Monica and myself. Jason and Jade were only a part of the trip to Germany, after which France and Ireland were all for Aiden to handle.

Worst of all, Aiden had insisted we fly on Sunday morning, so we could get there and sleep off all the tiredness we had. Look fresh and presentable and ready to negotiate with these people on Monday morning. I was going to spend my fucking birthday on a plane over the Atlantic Ocean.

The one fucking year I could actually have a birthday cake...

I wanted to strangle Aiden, but all I did was send messages to everyone informing them that the birthday party might have to be rescheduled after all. Lydia guessed it was Aiden from the very first second, and I grimaced. Kylie was just as bummed out as I was, but she was quick to inform me that she was making plans with her new work buddy anyway on the same date.

When my parents called me at midnight, I received the call in my room, celebrating briefly before faking a headache and getting away. Back in my living room, Aiden was packing his work notes away, sorting through files and ensuring everything was in place. I helped him pack up, glad that the night was coming to an end and I'd be well-rested before the flight.

"I don't want to end up sleeping with you again." His tone was sharp as if I was the one at fault. I fell asleep first, always. He was supposed to go home.

"Good call." I smiled widely, making sure the sarcasm in my voice was noticeable.

"See you at the airport tomorrow. Don't be late."

My car privileges had been taken away. What an inconvenience.

I woke up the next morning still frazzled, still feeling the strange undercurrent of nerves I felt in my dream starring Aiden. I didn't have to remember the entirety of the dream to remember how skilled his mouth was and I needed an altogether new reason to pack my entire drawer of underwear. Making sure all the lights were off and I was leaving the house safely, I made it to the airport in time, just barely. The last-minute packing had surely done a spell on me.