CH 27: RECOVERY IS A ROCKY ROAD

In a span of two months, I had gone from marching into Aiden's office demanding money to sitting in his chair and making huge fucking decisions that made me sweat

In a span of two months, I had gone from marching into Aiden's office demanding money to sitting in his chair and making huge fucking decisions that made me sweat. When I arrived at work on Monday morning, Monica had ushered me into Aiden's office, firing up his device for me and logging me in for a video meeting.

Confused and frazzled, I wanted to say something to Monica but got interrupted when Aiden popped up on the screen, giving me a million instructions at the speed of light. He was still at his family home, as I figured by the background, and for a change had dressed in a tee-shirt. In his absence, Aiden expected me to run the ship, taking whatever calls I thought were necessary and only try contacting him if it was completely unavoidable.

"Any questions?" He asked at the end of his scribbled list, which I knew he had come up with in the middle of the night because he hadn't been able to sleep well.

"Uh, yes. First of all, what the fuck?" I muttered, but the traitorous earphones were good enough to have caught it, amusing Aiden.

"I'll have you know that swearing is against company policy." He shook his head, but I sensed some amount of playfulness in his face, that pushed me to continue the lighthearted tone of our conversation.

"Okay, the real question: What happened to letting Jason and Langley take over?"

"Walter's on a leave this week. Something about a baby shower in the UK. Would you let Jason handle everything on his own?"

Yes. Yes, I would.

"I still don't feel confident about this," I muttered again, looking through the files Monica had set on the table. I recognized a lot of them from passing conversations and some of these were typed by yours truly.

"Then maybe I shouldn't give you the seed fund if you don't want to be at the big table." He snapped, making me flinch. It wasn't the fucking same, but I wasn't about to argue with a grieving man lashing out.

"I'll do it." I pursed my lips, taking a pen from my bag and trying to make some sense of the mess in front of me. I really needed to figure out what the fuck was going on before I could do anything else.

"Great. The first task of the day is to fire Evan Jacobs. Works in finance, but as I said, Walter's out of town. Then move on to whatever is necessary next."

Before I could ask anything else, the call returned to the blank screen, Aiden having disconnected from his end. Shit. I called in Monica to get a run-down of who Evan was and why I was firing him, before sending her off to get Evan to my office in twenty minutes.

Evan Jacobs was a balding man, but he couldn't have been anywhere above his mid-thirties. He walked with a certain arrogance in his gait like he knew he was better than everyone else. Oh boy, if you were, you wouldn't be caught in this situation. I was looking through Aiden's unanswered emails when he walked in, not even having the decency to knock first. This wasn't going to end well for him.