chapter thirty-eight

"It's almost dawn, I believe," murmured Ariel, looking towards the window, hidden by curtains, but letting some light pass through. He was lying on his back. His chest was going up and down, much more slowly than before. The euphoria had calmed down a little. One of his hand was holding a lit cigarette he had been sharing with Regulus for a minute or two. His fingers were loosely intertwined with the boy's lying by his side.

"Yeah. I'm exhausted," murmured back Regulus in the same hushed tone.

"Me too. But I don't feel like sleeping."

"Me neither. What should we do?"

Ariel angled his face towards him. Regulus did the same and caught his smirk. "You know what I'd do if I had enough strength left."

"You know I'd gladly accept if I could bear more."

His words made them both laugh.

"What should we do then," continued the boy.

"Talk."

"Talk?"

"Yeah. I've been meaning to tell you something."

"Don't be so serious." This sentence made Ariel crack a smile.

"I wanted to admit a few things."

"I'm listening."

"You know that nobody has never been so kind to me. Except you," started Ariel in a light tone.

"No. I can't believe that."

"Who else would?"

"Cissy?" tried Regulus while grinning a little.

"That is a correct answer. But it's different."

"How?"

"I'm coming to this just be patient... The second thing I wanna admit is that I did try to play with you. Corrupt you like would say Narcissa."

"I could guess," replied the raven-haired boy, not the slightest bit surprised or affected.

"But I couldn't process to play with you the way I had played with others. You were too kind and almost too receptive instead of being rejective like others were. Even if you would stay nonchalant in front of this, you were far too innocent for me to play with you. By that I mean you didn't know anything about this whole thing and when I understood, I didn't want to hurt you the way I've been hurt."

There was seriousness in his blue eyes now. They were looking straight at Regulus who was listening with attention.

"How have you been hurt?" asked the boy more quietly.

"I liked some guys in the past."

"I thought you'd never fallen in love."

"I never did. They were just some crushes. But when I told them, thinking stupidly that maybe I could have a chance, they rejected me and were being awful with me, saying things like I disgusted them even though the night before they were all over me," said Ariel, laughing sourly as he remembered those moments.

"They're some stupid arseholes," stated Regulus.

"Indeed," laughed the other boy. "That's why you were different. And I couldn't help feeling different as well. Though I tried to ignore it and go along with it. I liked you. The way you liked me."

"I knew, no matter how quiet you were."

"How," laughed the blond boy again.

"I know you, I observe you, I noticed. Even the look in your eyes. You could never know how cold your eyes were before. They would only shine with me."