Twenty-Eight

Monica

If given the opportunity, Taylor looked like he would flee from Monica's wrath, lest she squash him like a bug. But that would leave him to return to his own suite to deal with John, or worse, run straight to Benson.

He swallowed, stepping back as he shook his head, but said nothing.

"What were you thinking?" she demanded, trying to keep the anger from her voice.

Based on the way he bit his lip and flicked a glance over his shoulder, she hadn't succeeded.

Monica sighed and tried again, this time in a softer tone. "Taylor, that man is the reason Jayson snapped. He--" She paused, unable to admit Benson scared the hell out of her.

Taylor cleared his throat as he cast his gaze to the floor. "I'm sorry, okay? I can't stand this place, and Benson offered me a way out from my dad. I thought if I went along and played nice, like everyone expects me to, then maybe I could find out what happened to Jayson."

His breath hitched on his best friend's name, and Monica closed the space between them. Her arms went around him, making his shoulders stiffen for a moment before relaxing in her embrace.

"That man is awful," she whispered. Stepping back, she sighed. "I hate the way he gets into people's heads. And he had kind of this smug look when he sent Jayson out from the gates, like..." Monica dropped her hands by her sides, searching for the right words. "Like he wanted this outcome, but I couldn't say why."

Taylor met her eyes, watching her with apprehension. "Remember what I told you the other day about--"

He stopped, pointing overhead. The message was clear: he was still worried about the potential to be overheard.

Monica nodded before walking into her room, slipping into a pair of leggings and her fleece issued jacket. She swiped her key card and slipped it until her pocket before grabbing her shoes and a pair of socks, walking back into the living room and sitting on the couch to put them on.

As she did so, she said, "Let's go to the gym. We could use a workout to clear our minds."

Taylor lifted an eyebrow and smirked. Anyone who knew Monica was well aware she hated exercise. Nevermind the fact she'd had to participate in the evenings as part of her schedule. She hated every minute of it, and no amount of conditioning would ever change her mind.

But he nodded and replied anyway. "Okay. I'll probably just watch though. Wouldn't want to break anything again."

Standing, Monica pulled Taylor out of the suite, and together they walked through the facility toward the gym. After awhile, Monica said, "I think something is going on with the higher-ups, but I can't figure out what it is. I'm locked out of several medical files, and I shouldn't be. There's nothing about your mother in the database."

Taylor sighed, shoving a hand in his pocket as he started at the ground. "Dad is an idiot sometimes, but I don't blame him. He's very private with his personal life, and he wouldn't want anyone having that information."

That was understandable, but still frustrating not to have the facts. "I get that, but that information could save people. And there's this other file buried deep among the others that I found by accident. Someone skimming wouldn't have noticed it. It makes me think more and more that this was a biological weapon."

"I think you're right," he murmured. "I heard Jayson on the radio tonight. I'm not sure what was happening except soldiers kept trying to reach one of the teams until Jayson told them they were dead."