Chapter 44. A stolen life

Six years ago

A large iron forged intricate gate preventing entrance to all uninvited guests, a long alley bordered by the most beautiful colored flowers , delicate crafted fountains every here and there picking out from behind the clusters of luscious vegetation, an impressive French chateau styled mansion, with an even more intimidating interior design predominated by gilded golden marble motifs and antique pieces of mahogany furniture.

As opposed to an adult, all these would have never mattered to the young nine years old Aileen, who had been utterly terrified of being separated from her parents.

The sparkling diamond like chandeliers, the expensive paintings hanging on the walls unguarded, the meticulous servants that had led her to the spacious well lit living room, those would have never felt that important to the child who was accustomed to an almost similar style of living.

But this would have been how the nine years old Aileen would have felt. Well, for the eighteen years old Aileen "the almost similar" style of living was actually miles apart.

The current house she was in, was at least two times larger than her own. The newly bought mahogany furniture her mother had just renovated their own home with, could not be compared to the hand crafted items that felt more like pieces of art rather than objects used to decorate and store things. The commercial paintings and sculptures of living commissioned artists, how could they measure up to the famous pieces of sculptures and ancient paintings from decades if not centuries ago.

Feeling the sparkling of the general view hurting and pricking her eyes, as she had more and more understood what she had let slip out from her grasp, the young woman Aileen could barely maintain the still friendly smile and polite bearing, as she seemingly confident took her seat on the couch.

'Aileen, I'm so happy you are here!' A beautiful budding young girl's voice boomed happily at the sight if her cousin, just as the latter was trying to recollect herself.

It had been nine years since Jillian had been adopted by the old master Langdon of the main family. A period of time in which she had been showered with the best care, the best education, the best of everything, the one who was stealing another person's life and another's future.

Even the obvious grumpy old master had fallen under the conniving Jillian's charms, and had turned softer and friendlier because of her intrusion in the mansion. At least this was what Patricia, her mother, had informed her. Though Aileen could hardly tell what was there so special about Jillian that she could manage such a feat.

'Jillian, there you are. I've missed you.' Aileen appreciated as her smile grew larger, and she brightly held out her hands for her cousin.

Happy at the familiarity Aileen was displaying, Jillian immediately responded to her gesture and also rose her hands for the former to take. She did not notice at all, that even though so many years had already passed since her name was changed to Aria, Aileen still had yet to change her way of addressing her.

But even though she was not aware of it, the servants, who were just placing sweets and tea on the table for the ladies to enjoy, were already frowning at the disrespect. The master had already adopted the young miss as the young lady of the house. He was going to have her inherit all the fortune of the Langdon family, with only a few conditions in exchange, the main one being that Jillian had to be called Aria. Thus the lady should have corrected her cousin's words.

'Miss Aileen, please address the lady accordingly. She is no longer Jillian Monroe.' The butler informed just as he entered the living room.

While the normal servants could not say anything to Aileen, the old man who had been by the master's side for so many years already, naturally had a different standing between them.