2. FORBIDDEN MAGIC

Lord Rowan opened his mouth to shout back, but before he could Mariann whispered a small "please" under her breath. Anything to help Henry.

The Lord clenched and unclenches his fists before loudly commanding some of the slaves to gather wood for a fire and look for a water source nearby.

Mariann let out a breath she didn't know she was holding in. The tall Lord raised his hand down towards them to use the slave contracts powers. Mariann's eyes widened and before she knew it, Henry slumped forward from his kneeling position motionlessly as his head landed on the ground.

No more heaving for air. No more noises. She could feel the blood draining from her face in horror.

She reached to Henry pulling at his shoulder while tearing up. "Hen-."

"Ease your thoughts, he still lives."

Still shaky, she checked his breath to be sure. He must only be unconscious she thought.

Using what little strength she had left she turned him to his back and straightened his thin body carefully.

Her limbs were burning from carrying Henry and her vision clouded with dark dots. Her mind raced trying to figure out why her new master had made him fall unconscious, but she couldn't think clearly.

The Lord silently watched the small woman. "Follow me," He said sternly, a hint of anger in his voice.

Her heart skipped a beat as she looked up to see who the man was talking towards. To her dismay, he was looking right at her before turning and walking off into the woods, his broad shoulders making his blue cloak sway.

She tried to swallow her fear and urged her body to get up, almost falling over in the process.

Stumbling behind him, her mind wouldn't stop racing. She was going to get punished and she knew it. She'd spoken up to him, and if she was lucky she'd survive. She turned sick with fear as she followed the stranger, whose whole being felt powerful and cold.

She was never a slave that was troublesome or rebellious and now she was definitely having a bad start with the new Master.

Her blood seemed to freeze in her veins as she realized they were out of sight of the others. Whenever another master took someone out of sight they usually didn't come back together.

She went almost frantic with dread when the Lord stopped and turned to her.

She wanted to apologize and beg for forgiveness. She wished to plea and scream in fear but she was frozen. The lump in her throat seemed to gag her.

Seconds felt like years before he spoke, "I will not tolerate your behavior."

She let her head hang deeply, concentrating on his shoes, silently praying.

"Accusing me is unacceptable," he said pausing for a moment, his deep voice laced with anger.

"I don't need you or any of the others for that matter," his words cut her like knives.

Her eyes were glued to the man's boots waiting for movement. "So choose your words wisely from now on. I will not give you another chance."