10. THE TRUTH

-10 years earlier-

"You don't know who you're messing with!" Young Rowan shouted standing his ground with his back against the wall of a building.

Surrounded by four knights of the royal family one of them said, "Give up now and we won't have to hurt you as much, you little brat!"

Raising his hand he commanded multiple balls of water to attack his enemies, at the same time. Dodging and blocking these attacks he tried to use their distraction to their advantage as he bolted towards them trying to get out of the alleyway of the city surrounding the castle.

The knight with the loud mouth used his water wielding to rush water in front of the boy and punch him back towards the city guards. He landed on his back and heaved for air as he turned to his stomach to try to push himself up.

A large foot pushed him back to the ground making the boys ribs feel like they were being crushed. "We've got you now," one of the men said.

"I hope you like the darkness because you're going to rot in it for a while," another voice shouted as the pressure on his rib cage became harder by the second.

Digging his fingers into the cobbled ground of the city that had left him unloved and starved he tried to pull himself away from the under the pain of the man's boot.

It let up shortly leaving him to inhale much-needed air only to almost throw up on the ground when the boot came crashing back down on him causing the 14-year-old immense pain.

Panicking his vision blurred and for a moment he wished for darkness to take him away from the pain.

But he had never given up before and now wasn't going to be the first time.

Rubbing the heel of his shoe into the back of the young man he'd thought him to have given up.

"Get," Rowans clenched his firsts tightly, "AWAY FROM ME!" A large amount of water and power surged from out of the guard's canteens towards the boy before exploding in all directions with such force that all of the knights were launched against the wall harshly. Finally, he could breathe again.

"What happened?!" A young boy's voice demanded to know as he came riding towards Rowan on a white steed into the alley.

Demanding to know what was going on Rowan couldn't move a single muscle. His ears rang and every cell of his body ached. He hadn't eaten in days and had now used every bit of energy he had to fight the knights.

Looking at the blond young man on the steed whose mouth was moving but whose voice couldn't be heard, Rowan slipped out of consciousness finally releasing him of his pain.

When he woke up again he was in a cell in the prisons of the castle.

The young blond man had been Prince Ameer who'd heard the commotion and seen Rowan attack his trained knights.

He gave him an ultimatum and let him choose to use his powers for him and the royal family as a knight and guard or to sit out his days in the cell before going back to living on the streets.

Of course, he'd chosen to become a knight and with the right training and guidance he'd ranked up all the way to a Commendatore.