14. SOLANCE

Mariann watched in horror as her attacker came closer and closer making her scared out of her wits.

"Rowan! Your damned whore,.." he shouted trying to pace past the Lord who was still turned to Mariann and away from Girard.

If Mariann had had control over herself she would have screamed in dismay. Although still to the outside she was weeping on the inside. Her heart skipped a beat and her stomach turned.

Rowan spun around in one swift move using his armored hand to collide with Girard's face, making the sound of breaking bones almost audible.

Instantly he fell backward landing on his back. Rowan's eyes shone with rage. He knelt onto Girard who used his arms to try and block the Lord's repeated blows to the face.

Again and again and again.

Rowan shook with anger as he repeated throwing punches at the winding Lord below him who was too busy defending himself to shout.

Like Rowan was watching himself, he finally snapped out of it.

Not knowing what had overcome him, Rowan got up in one go, making sure that Girard could not hold onto him.

He had seen red.

Baring his teeth he stared at the Lord who's face was bleeding and staring up at him in disbelief and fear.

Swallowing the curses he wanted to throw at the pitiful man on the ground, Rowan turned and walked all the way to his chambers letting Mariann follow him.

Anger was clouding his vision and his sanity.

He made her close the door behind herself. Looking at his bleeding knuckles Rowan's hand shook. He rubbed his neck trying to calm down.

Mariann.

Walking up to her and standing in front of her before letting her move at her own will again.

"Mar-," his voice was cut off, as she used her first movement to smack her Lords cheek, making his head turn to the right.

Her hand stung as tears made her eyes glaze over before she fell to her knees hugging herself tightly and weeping, leaning her forehead forward against the cold ground.

Fear, anger, pain, were the feelings that consumed her right then and there.

She broke down completely, her sobs filling the silent room out until they could be heard in every corner.

Rowan's anger turned into empathy. Guilt even. He should have thought of the possibility that the King had summoned Lord Girard.

Huffing, he tried to blend out the heart-wrenching cries so he gave her some space and walked over to the small tub of water, that had been prepared for him to use.

He leaned onto it tightening his grip on its edges as Marianns pained weeps rang in his ears.

She let out everything. Her fear, her agony, her hate, her anger, her disgust, her distrust, her insecurities, and the things she'd seen. It had all piled up and her emotions had overcome her.