Chapter 26: An Impossible Dream

GrizzlyDiamond grunted as he walked into the portal. He did not like the idea of cooperating with the Maggots – a feeling exacerbated by his earlier 'battle' against Syèl. Left to his own devices, GrizzlyDiamond would have crushed the Maggots a long time ago. Unfortunately, Brilith stated they needed to maintain surface-level cooperation. At least, until they defeated Skyrm and stopped the summoning.

Vwoosh! Despite the rampant thoughts, GrizzlyDiamond immediately regained focus once he appeared in a room filled with flames. The warrior observed the nine 'stone islands' that stood over the sea of flames and then looked at the robed figure at the center.

'This place is very favorable to a mage.' GrizzlyDiamond quickly took out a charm from his inventory and crushed it. Light spilled out from the charm, enveloping him in a runic shield that reduced magic damage by a third.

After completing his preparations, GrizzlyDiamond brandished a massive ax.

Gulululu... Sounds like rushing waves and dripping water filled the room once the ax appeared. The air suddenly turned moist, causing the flames to dim somewhat.

"Show yourself!" GrizzlyDiamond roared and then swung down. The warrior injected his mana into the ax, activating the embedded ancient runes. Mana rapidly gathered in the ax and then shot out in the form of twin sea serpents.

The ax's innate ability rushed over the space between islands and crashed into the robed figure before they could react.

"Heh. Did I get them?" GrizzlyDiamond coldly examined the crash zone. Despite his seeming success, the warrior did not dare rashly jump onto the middle island.

"Regrettable." A cold voice dripping with malice coldly rang out.

GrizzlyDiamond looked up and was shocked to see a figure falling to the island. He then rapidly looked at the island and saw that only tatters from the robe remained on the platform. "Regrettable?" GrizzlyDiamond's eyes burned with anger when the figure landed on the platform. "A thing like you dares to ambush me?"

"Thing?" The 1-meter tall goblin stood on the platform glared at the towering GrizzlyDiamond with incredible hostility and malice. His shoulders trembled, but it seemed to be more an attempt to control his anger than from fear. "Indeed. A Summoned's arrogance is bone-deep. I am relieved to see you have not changed."

The goblin's hostility and sarcastic tone did not escape GrizzlyDiamond's notice. He raised his ax and observed the goblin. "You seem to know me?"

"Does I know you?" The goblin's lips spread as it let out a low chuckler. "Do I know you!?" The goblin's laughter did not reach its eyes which were fixed on GrizzlyDiamond. "Yes, I do. I know you too well."

GrizzlyDiamond was not fazed by the massive hostility. Instead, he smiled and asked, "So, who was it?"

"Who was what?"

"Who did I kill, obviously?" GrizzlyDiamond taunted the goblin while carefully examining the room in preparation for the upcoming fight. "Was it your brother? Your sister? Your wife, maybe?" The goblin's sarcastic laughter suddenly ended. "You must understand, you're not the first to seek vengeance, and you won't be the la—"

"I, Bok, shall be the last," The goblin declared as he raised his right hand. A clump of flames escaped from the flaming sea below and coalesced into a basketball-sized sphere that hovered over the goblin's outstretched.

"Bok?" GrizzlyDiamond frowned. The name sounded familiar, but he could not remember where from. "You say that like it should mean something to me."

Bok sneered. "It soon will." Following those words, Bok injected his mana into the spherical flame.

Bwush! The fireball suddenly expanded to over three meters wide!