The Proposal

-Belle-

The dance didn't end soon enough. Ever since he threatened Adam, Belle was trying to come up with any way to get a message to him without blindly walking into the forest and being eaten immediately, but she was coming up with nothing and she was panicking because of it. 

"Belle! may I dance with my guest of honor?" Lord MonteVerde asked as he came up behind them. 

"Of course Lord MonteVerde!" Gaston answered for her, placing her hand with in his. Gaston brought leaned into her hear and left her with a vague threat about secrets before he took his leave and Belle was finally able to breathe. 

"Ah, young love. It takes me back to better years, you and your Prince are exactly the pair me and my Carmella were!"

Belle smiled a tight smile, hoping that the man had a much better relationship with his wife than she had with the prince.

"Belle, I am grateful for your safe return, and I do hope that I am not too forward in congratulating you and the Prince for your upcoming nuptials."

"He told you we were to be wed?" She asked.

"Oh yes, he commissioned me to find a suitable ring this morning and not to boast, but I've found the most gorgeous stone! I am also gifting you both an engagement present of 60 armed men to go out and vanquish that beast at last."

"60 men?" 

"Yes, of course many of them volunteered. They were the ones who had already set out to rescue you, were beaten to it by the Prince. They can at least get SOME glory by killing the thing!" he said in a jovial tone.

"If you kill the king Beast you'll no longer be able to send maidens out into the forest as a test of valor!" She said, grasping onto straws.

The old man just shrugged good-naturedly. "To tell you the truth, I thought that was a disgusting practice anyways and I'm glad to be rid of it. I was preparing a law against it which would have made me exceedingly unpopular. So, I guess it all worked out perfectly for me!" He said cheerfully.

Circumstances were working out perfectly for just about everyone but her, Belle thought bitterly. Is this what the Beast wanted for her when he left her here, to marry some despicable prince who only cared for her face? He told her to forget about the Beasts of the forest, but she couldn't when they were preferable to the beasts in society.

"I do hope that you will remember us favorably when you are at the capitol dear!" Lord MonteVerde said at the end of their dance. Belle nodded politely and bowed deeply to him deciding that she was going to do something incredibly stupid.

-Gaston-

Gaston was conveniently, and purposely, placed at Maurice's side when Belle approached him and asked for an escort home.

The ring Lord MonteVerde had given him earlier that night was burning a hole in his pocket and the sooner he got it on her hand the sooner everything else would move along.

"Maurice, I wonder if I might do the honor of escorting your lovely daughter home?" He asked with a smile. Her father had half suggested this very thing earlier in the night.

Maurice smiled a cheesy grin, taking a long look at the tables filled with the best alcohol you can get. "How wonderfully fine of you to think of my daughter Gaston! Of course you may escort her home." 

"Father! That's hardly appropriate!" 

Her father laughed and grabbed her hand, placing it into Gaston's outstretched one.

"You must learn to live a little Belle! You two are practically engaged, go and enjoy each other."

Gaston smiled a wolfish grin and led Belle outside. 

"It's to the left." She said when they pulled up to a stop at the bottom of the stairs. 

"I've asked your father for his permission and we are engaged." He said, following her directions. He hadn't expected an overzealous reaction due to her earlier sentiments, but he expected more than the slight frown he received. 

Gaston slipped the ring Lord MonteVerde had given him out of the box and onto her hand while she walked silently, unreactive.

"On a normal situation I would have showed you exactly why I've gained my reputation for being the ideal lover, but we are pressed for time. I want the good Lord to see this ring on your finger all day long tomorrow before I need his men the day after." 

"You're leaving the day after tomorrow?" 

"Yes, it's got to be before the blood moon lets up, and the sooner we go the weaker the beast will be. It will take us a full day to prepare the hunt party and then we leave the next morning."

The conversation went in circles until they finally turned down the pathway that led to a singular shack. 

"The idea of a change in circumstance must attract you somewhat." He said in disgust, looking at the house that didn't even have the right to be called a house.

Belle just turned to escape into her shack, but Gaston held her hand back. She wouldn't escape from him that easily.

"You won't even wish me a goodnight? You must have some beastly manners remain in you from being the Beast King's guest."

Belle turned and finally faced him, her whole face illuminated by the moonlight.  "Good night Prince Gaston." She said coldly, and Gaston smiled. One thing he could never resist was the thrill of the hunt. 

"That is not how a woman says goodnight to her betrothed." Gaston added, now holding both her hands.

She took a step back, but it only made him take a step forward.

"That is how I have said goodnight to you, so it IS in fact, the way a woman says goodnight to her betrothed." She said.

"No. It isn't. I will have to show you what I am talking about."

He pulled her close to him and she gasped loudly and before she could voice the words that her mouth was filling with, he kissed her. She was every bit the prize he was looking for, especially because she fought him every step of the way. Even now she pushed against him in vain.

 Just a small kiss wouldn't do. Most women desired his touch, but it seemed like Belle was going to need a little sampling before she gave herself over to him. He deepened the kiss and followed her retreat. When he finally needed to draw for breath Belle berrated him with words.

"Prince Gaston, you will unhand me at once!" She said and he moved the slightest fraction backwards, but did not yet relinquish his control.

"Why should two beautiful people stop a beautiful thing?" That was a line he had fed many women and it often led to his desired results. 

"I cannot stand your touch." She said, turning her head away from him. 

Gaston smiled, he knew she would be different than the other girls. She was a tough nut to crack and would not melt into his arms like the rest of them. She was perfect for him. He caressed the side of her face, but she remained stalwart and turned away from him. His annoyance pricked up and he frowned. 

"Perhaps I was mistaken in your value. Try and remember that you are beautiful, but the most beautiful objects belong only survive in the castle because the peasants can't afford something that's only use is to inspire beauty. I am your salvation and without me the only creature who would dare take you in is the King of Beasts."

Gaston laughed at his own joke while she stayed stone face. He decided to let her stew on his words and he left her with one more brief kiss, it's better to leave her wanting more, he thought. 

It wouldn't be long before he had her falling at his feet begging him to touch her.