Chapter 12: Proud

The rain came down on the Duke and Duchess before they reached London. The couple sat quietly, listening to the secrets of the shower. It has a lot to say if only one cares to hear. The rain softens the view, and the world becomes a blur of outlines as if a person can merge into it seamlessly. It's a symphony pouring down from the sky, serenading the listener with its lonesome lullaby.

Perhaps that's why Mary doesn't mind the showers so much. Joy comes. Tears fall. She's learning how there's beauty in it all. She's tasted bitter and sweet; through all of this, God's had his hand on everything. You just have to look for the good while waiting for the sun. Because the sun will always reappear, bringing with it new life, hope, and refreshment for the soul.

Maybe it's not about stopping the downpour but having someone walk through it with you. Someone to play in the puddles with. The Duchess inclined her head to her husband. She spoke like the rain's beat in dulcet tones, saying, "Thank you."

A soft smile formed on the Duke's face. He can't help but wonder, "Why?"

Taking his hand, she told him why. "For playing in the puddles with me and walking through the rain of my soul."

Mary brought his hand to her lips with care and placed a gentle kiss on it. Then turned it over and did the same thing to his palm. Charles's eyes bore into hers, stating, "My sweet Mary, I will always walk with you. I will walk thousands of miles with you and love you every step of the way. The road may twist and turn and get rough. The sky may storm or be as blue as the ocean in your eyes, but I will be there by your side. I will walk with you anywhere, My Darling."

He kissed her forehead. That one kiss on the forehead is sweeter and more promising than hundreds of kisses on the lips. There's no lust; instead, it's real love and respect. Plain and simple.

The carriage began its final leg of the trip. With Mary's head tucked under his chin, Charles asked, "How are you feeling? We're almost there." He felt her arms clench around him tighter. She didn't have to speak. That little gesture said everything, but Mary voiced her concern, "I think I'll be glad when it's over. Then we can return to Suffolk away from the maddening crowd and the vultures. It's funny because I was bred to be a princess. Princesses should enjoy the liveliness of court and be around the throngs of people."

Her head lifted, and she sat up, picking at an embroidered flower on her grayish-purple dress, adding, "But I don't. I suppose my castle in Ludlow taught me about the quiet. Another hard lesson I learned there. Even though my life was different, it was much truer. It was quiet. My thoughts were slow and unhurried. All around me for miles was the vast expanse of nature. No foggy haze in the city. And despite feeling trapped, there was something beautiful about the scenery. It called to me in the glittery mornings and the golden afternoon hour. I'm thankful for that."

Charles is thankful for it, too, because, without any of those harsh lessons, she might have turned into one of the shallow weedy women at court. How he would hate to suffer that. It was bad enough with his first wife. Still, the Duke told her, "Well, you won't have to suffer the King's Court alone. I'll be with you, and so will Dot."

Nodding, a smile graced Mary's lovely face. However, it did not make her glow as they so usually do. Subdued, that's how she seems. While her unease troubles her husband, he's actually glad for it. When his wife is on fire--- charming and winsome--- she can warm the blood of even the coldest of men. He'd rather their lascivious thoughts be turned elsewhere.

Although, in truth, that's a worry--- Henry summoning Charles away from her and the Duchess being unattended to. Some lewd lord wandering her way and taking advantage of her kind nature. There are many lecherous lords in court. His Grace must remind himself to put the eyes of trusted guards on her.