Chapter 50: Black Swan

As they knew, nothing is for free. Having the ability to trade with Venice is a luxury not many countries are afforded. For Wales to be able to do so is a huge victory. It transforms the face of things. It provides a new economic landscape for the province, not only for Wales but also for Suffolk. 

In the kingdom, those are the only two provinces that have exceeded fiscal expectations, two years in a row. Wales and Suffolk have the lowest taxes by far in the whole of the country. They also have the most people working per capita, less crime, and overall happy, healthy citizens. The same cannot be said for many of the other provinces, which are severely mismanaged in different locations. 

So this commerce with Venice will allow even more new jobs to be created. This boon means even fewer people will be in poverty, fewer taxes, and lower prices. All around it's a super boost, maybe even for the whole country. But as all things go, heavy is the head wearing the crown. 

At what cost does all of this come? What has to be given up, to get what is wanted? Power is being able to make decisions. The one with the power holds all the cards. And if it doesn't work out, then is it worth it, to begin with. The bottom line is Wales doesn't need Venice, but Venice doesn't know that. So the Prince has the upper hand and being the master card player he is, those cards are held close to his vest. 

Wednesday afternoon, Dogaressa (which is the fancy Italian word for Dutchess) Benedetta of Venice met with the Prince and Princess of Wales. Early in their marriage Charles established a rule— never meet with a lady alone. It creates a lack of impropriety. If his wife can't be with him to meet with women, then he rescheduled the appointment. And so the three monarchs met.

All the terms of trade were laid out and everything was going smoother than expected. Then the talk of payment ensued. That is when things began to get tricky. Dutchess Benedetta Gritti spelled out what she wanted as payment. "Your son's hand in marriage."

Charles steepled his fingers together on the table. "I see. I have two sons, both of them are one year old. How old is the lady you're speaking of?"

The Dogaressa laughed. "Well, she is not a lady. She is my granddaughter and barely even a young lady. In fact, she was just born last year to my eldest son, Francisco, and his wife Nicola. So my granddaughter and your daughter are the same age. Except your Gillian beats my Viviana by two months. Viviana Nicola Gritti or as the English would say— Vivian Nicole."

That changed things considerably in the Prince's mind. He wasn't sure how old of a girl he was expecting, maybe one of seven. But a baby was a welcome surprise. It must have changed things in his wife's mind too if the squeeze to his thigh was anything to go on. Eager to know more, he asked "What is your granddaughter's personality like? What kind of temperament would you say she has?"

A sigh of relief could have passed through Mary's mouth, but she held it in. She too wants to know this as well. Depending on the babe's nature, she could be a good fit for one son or the other.

With the smile only a grandmother could wear, Lady Benedetta pulled out a cameo brooch. Opening it, she handed it to the Prince and Princess. Inside is a miniature painting of Viviana. Mary cooed. The sweet little girl is very attractive with her dark hair and hazel eyes. 

"That is my Vivi. Both of our sons have had nothing but boys. She's our first granddaughter and the love of her grandfather's life. She is quite spoiled," the Dutchess laughed. 

Mary can understand that. So far Gillian is spoiled rotten by her father and anyone who meets her. She just wishes her daughter's grandfather would take a liking to her. But that might be like asking it to snow in the summer. "She's very attractive," the Princess told her passing the brooch back.