Chapter 31: Memories

Her eyes fluttered open. She is back from the dark abyss and yet... With a raspy voice, she spoke. "Charles Brandon, the Duke of Suffolk. What are you doing in my chamber?" Looking around she grew nervous. None of this looks familiar to her. Where is she and why is she here? Tears welled up in her eyes. Oh, God! Her mind is blank. What is wrong with her? Her breathing turned heavy and ragged. All she can hear is the beating of her heart and blood rushing into her ears. Panic began to set in. She clutched at the bedsheets.

Trying not to freak out himself, Charles was again at a loss. He turned his head to the doorway and his eyes begged her father to intervene. Which he did. Striding back into the room, Henry came to his daughter's aid. When her arms reached out for him, his heart broke. Gathering her gently to his side, he spoke in a calming tone. "Dearest, what is the matter? What can I do for you?"

With a dry, shaky voice Mary inquired "Where am I? Has something happened to me that I'm not in Ludlow anymore? And why can't I remember anything?" Her body trembled as she wept onto his side. 

Both Charles and Henry were at a loss. Finding words, Henry kissed his daughter's forehead. When he did finally speak he declared "The Duke is going to go fetch the doctor and we'll get this all straightened out. Just lie still. Don't jostle your wounds." He made to get up and talk to Charles, but his daughter held him. 

"Please Daddy. Don't leave me." Her voice sounded so weak, so frail, so frightened that it gutted him. And so he stayed put and motioned for Charles to go.

He did not want to leave his wife's side, but he did. He sent William to get Doctor Pearce, then poured himself a glass of wine and waited for the doctor. The whole time he tried not to think about what is happening to his sweetheart's mind. Instead, he tried to focus on the fact she is awake.

When Doctor Pearce and Edmund arrived they immediately went into the bed-chamber. It seemed like forever, but finally, they emerged. The two physicians waited for the King to appear and when he did, leaving Joan inside with Mary, the doctor began a lengthy explanation. 

"First it is good to note that Her Ladyship does not have paralysis, nor any nerve damage. Her back aches, though, but that I expected. Her ribs ache but are mending. Her wrist is not swollen anymore but is tender. However now an unexpected consequence has popped up. She has what academia calls amnesia." He saw everyone in the room look puzzled. 

So he continued. "As I said before, Her Highness took a terrible fall. She had a traumatic event happen. The brain has to heal itself and by doing that she now has amnesia, where the mind has blocked off certain life events. It's like the mind has put her life into boxes and those boxes have been sealed off. There is good news and bad news here." He looked to the Duke, who was pouring another glass of wine, and told him "One for me if you please."

Charles poured himself and the doctor a glass of fresh wine. He's going to need it to get through this amnesia. This good news and bad news business.

After being handed the drink, Doctor Pearce took a sip. Upon swallowing it down and cleansing his pallet, he spoke some more. "The good news is that it's possible for the amnesia to resolve on its own as the brain heals itself. The bad news is there's no way of knowing how long that will take." Turning to Edmund he communicated "Edmund do you remember that case in the brain class at the university? 

Edmund nodded. "I do Sir." The doctor encouraged him to share his knowledge. "Doctor Pearce and I took a class in Rome, some time back, on the brain and cognitive functions. There was a case study of a person who had amnesia like Her Ladyship. This man awakened from a sleep too, but never recovered his memories until almost two years after being awake."