Chapter 9

I was in the Alpha's Hall's common room. With Caine.

We were getting to know each other, my tummy was pressed on the sofa I was on. We were on a modular sofa and I was on the long part of it. The Alpha's Hall was very modern, and so was the common room.

The common room was white-themed. There was an arch-shaped window with a thin white frame near the gray modular sofa I am currently lying on.  Just in front of the window was a plant. In front of the sofa was a circular table with a translucent-gray tray, there was a bottle of water and a few snacks on it. Behind the sofa, just in front of the wall, was a black shelf with different sorts of things. Books, pots, boxes, and others.

The very back of the wall was behind the other walls for design and more space. A glass block window with a thin white frame was on the wall. Leaning on the wall was a white end table, a flower vase with pots on either side of it.

"So... do you mind explaining?"

"Explain what?" Caine asked.

"How you got the curse," I said, rolling my eyes.

He visibly tensed. "It's a long story," he said in a voice just below a whisper. He was obviously avoiding the question.

"I have nothing to do, I can listen for a whole day," I insisted.

If I wanted to find a cure, I needed to have some clues and do some research first. I was curious about what had happened.

"I guess, if you're willing to listen to it then here goes nothing...," he took a deep breath before he started speaking.

"When my brothers and I were young, we were normal pureblood werewolves. Scratch that, we were pureblood werewolves that are next-in-line for Alpha in a normal pack. We were one of the most ancient werewolves; there weren't much werewolves at that time. Most werewolves during my time were pureblood; humans didn't know we existed, if ever they did, they would either be killed or be turned into a half-blood werewolf if that person is a mate of another werewolf. Since pureblood werewolves weren't even close to extinct at that time, we had a nice childhood, we had enough for living. We were one of the smallest packs in the northern mountains, and a bigger pack wanted to invade and conquer our small pack and land. Our father panicked, he tried seeking for alliance in different packs but they all refused, knowing that we had one of the smallest packs; we didn't have just little manpower, but we also lacked land and alliance, causing us to be vulnerable during attacks. Since my father couldn't get any alliance from other packs, my father turned to the mer creatures for help. The prince at that time, pitied our pack, so they agreed to help us, but everything comes with a price. They said they would help us if we'd kill a specific witch. Her name was Hecate, she was one of their rivals and is a very powerful witch. She belonged to a coven where only powerful witches were allowed; all the witches in that coven were all cruel and attacked different species. My father, having no choice, agreed to try his best to kill Hecate. The three of us were there when our father stabbed her in the heart. Before she could die, she cursed my father and the three of us; to never meet our mate, but if we do and fully complete the mating process and mark them, we'd go insane and start hurting our own mate. My father reacted almost immediately to the curse, he was never the same. He started hurting my brothers and I, but our mother took the most of it. We couldn't blame the mer creatures, since we agreed to kill Hecate in the first place, and she had killed a decent amount of mer creatures, at least enough for them to hate her. That went on until my father killed my mother, and after that, he went even more insane because of the death of our mother and killed himself."

I gasped at the horrible story. I was surprised and disappointed at the same time. His story didn't have any clues on how to actually find a cure.

"Where did it happen? I mean, where did your father kill her?" I asked, digging in for more information.

"My father tried to kill her four times. First is in this pack land, near the pond, it was unsuccessful, obviously. The second was somewhere in our old pack lands, our old pack lands were somewhere near the northern mountains. The third was in a waterfall near the Pond of Dreams, he tried to drown her but it obviously didn't work since witches have a forte in magic too, and hers was water, coincidentally. Fourth, where he actually succeeded in killing her, was in a cemetery. Hecate was mourning for her mother and that was when she was most vulnerable, so that's when my father struck," he was obviously bothered by re-telling his past, it was like reliving it all over again.

"Thank you," I said, fiddling with my fingers.

"Thank you for what?"

"Trusting me enough to tell me your past, and I'm sorry for making you remember it again."

"Consider it as an apology for ignoring you."

"Okay," I adjusted my position so that I was more comfortable, only to be pulled onto Caine's lap. He started sniffing me again. I just stared at him.

"What? My wolf's request," he mumbled. "The other's scent can calm the wolf."

He sniffed on the crook of my neck until his wolf was calm enough and pulled me off of his lap. The tension in the room was building, the silence starting to get uncomfortable. I think I saw Caine fidget a little, but it might just be me.

"Hello brother deare-," Caleb never got to finish his statement when he saw me, laying on my belly on the sofa. "Oo-oop."